Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (
-   -   Filter help please? (

okiemavis 02-17-2008 09:09 PM

Filter help please?
So I just got a new 85 gallon aquarium off of craigslist. It came with a Magnum 350- which I can't seem to get to work very well. I've never had canister filters before, and I couldn't seem to figure out where to put the filter media, the only kind of canisters I know are where you layer the different medias in different slots. Also, when I ran it without any media in it, just to see if it worked, the water was flowing very badly back into the tank. I think it's just dirty and clogged?

Also, I want more filtration for this tank, and I'm looking for another good canister, but I know that the pro Ehiems aren't in my range. Any suggestions? Would it be easier/better to just buy two new canister filters for my tank and to ditch the Magnum?

herefishy 02-17-2008 09:23 PM

I love those canisters. Since yours doesn't work, you can give it to me. Only joking.

The filter should have a micron filter and a carbon/media cartridge with it. They should be installed to maintain backpressure. Here is a site that sells them if you don't have them. You will also see what they look like.

The reason your filter is "backflushing" is because of insufficient prime. You may have to raise the filter a little and turn it upside down to get rid of all of the air in the canister and prime the filter.

okiemavis 02-17-2008 09:35 PM

Hehe, thanks. I was just so frustrated cuz this guy was running it, so I sorta figured I'd be able to just plug it in and go as well. Perhaps I will decide I love it so much once I get it working that I will buy another.

Meh, I don't know what I'm missing or not. I'm going to have to take a closer look at it. I also seem to have an older version than the one on this site, will these still fit?

okiemavis 02-18-2008 12:45 PM

Yay! It's all working- I sucked it up and went to the fish store today instead of finding cheap stuff online. Apparently I need a basket for holding media or a micron filter (this is according to the directions in the box with the basket replacement). I already had the basket, so I figured I'd go with that, since the micron clogs more often, and I got a filter sleeve to go around the basket and some ehiem biological ceramic balls to go in the basket.

The guy at the store was awesome- I asked one guy and he said he didn't know that much about the Magnum and found another guy who uses them at home and hooked me all up. I love this store cuz I actually heard a guy chastising some customers for thinking that their goldfish is only supposed to live a couple years and putting 3 of them in a 10G. It gave me a lot of faith in my LFS :D

So, in conclusion, my gigantic tank is up and running! Now I just need to start decorating and cycling. I'll def. be starting a photo journal. Thanks!

icom 02-19-2008 09:33 PM

those Magnums are a pretty good filter for what they cost