Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Diagnosis (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/diagnosis-119744/)

michailaevans 11-14-2012 07:57 AM

Diagnosis

I have a beautiful orange Saffron Molly. He had a very vibrant coloring that included a very black tail. He looked like someone to the front and back of two Mollies and combined them, color wise. He's always had my 2 guppies heart. They follow him everywhere. I've had the three for about a week. Yesterday, he wouldn't leave the bottom of my tank. He just rested on the gravel. The guppies wouldn't have anything to do with him. He's isolated in the only extra tank I have, a 1 gallon tank. Today he started swimming in circles. He is also tilted when he swims. But still, more than anything, he just sits there. Now though, he is on a 45 degree angle.
Two days ago, we got our first cold weather in Texas. The tank got to 72 degrees overnight. So we turned the heater up. Then the tank got to 80(that evening). so we turned it down alittle. Again, the tank got to about 74 last night. so we have the heater up again. I'm keeping a closer look at the temperature today. All my other fish seem to be doing well.
I'm keeping the tank at 78 degrees,. I have a 37 gallon that's been set up for about a month. I've only had 1 fish die very early on before this fish was ever introduced.
I need to know what it sounds like it wrong with my fish. How is it treated? Can it be treated or should we let nature take control? What caused this? Should I be worried about my other fish? What can I do to prevent it from reoccurring?

Chesh 11-14-2012 08:36 AM

To me this sounds like a swim bladder issue caused by the temperature changing too rapidly. . . it isn't something that can be spread to the other fish, and it's kind of a nature take it's course kind of thing - he may be fine - it really depends on how strong he is, and if his body can fix itself.

If it were my Molly, I would add aquarium salt to the tank and do my absolute best to keep those temperatures perfect for him over the course of the next few days... you can try covering the tank(s) with a fleece blanket overnight to help insulate the tank. If you don't have a programmable heater that can be set for a specific temperature and turn itself off and on as needed, definitely get one asap. If you already have one, it *might* help to add a second heater - if they both kick on at the same time when the temps start to fall, they'll be better able to maintain the temps when the air becomes chilly overnight.

I hope he's okay, poor little thing. . .

michailaevans 11-14-2012 09:14 AM

Unfortunately, he didn't make it. It breaks my heart that he didn't make it because of my lack of attention. I've heard the salt idea quite a lot while researching. I have 3 other Mollies, 5 Neons, 2 Cory Cats, 2 Guppies, and two 2 week old Molly fry. Would the salt be harmful to any of my other fish?

Chesh 11-14-2012 11:29 AM

I'm sorry to hear he didn't make it, it's always hard to lose a fish. :( the plus side is that now that you know what to watch for, you'lll be more vigilant in the future for this type of temperature flux, and keep your other babies safe!

I would NOT add salt to the main tank. The Mollies and the Guppies would have no problem with salt, but the Cories won't do well with it - and if they aren't having issues, it won't do any good for any of them, anyway. Just be very aware of the temps, and try to do as much as you can to keep the temperature stable, and hopefully they'll all be fine. . . keep an eye out for any stress-related illnesses over the next week or two - just try to be extra aware of what's going on in that tank.

Sorry again about your Molly. . .

marshallsea 11-16-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michailaevans (Post 1310222)
I have a beautiful orange Saffron Molly. He had a very vibrant coloring that included a very black tail. He looked like someone to the front and back of two Mollies and combined them, color wise. He's always had my 2 guppies heart. They follow him everywhere. I've had the three for about a week. Yesterday, he wouldn't leave the bottom of my tank. He just rested on the gravel. The guppies wouldn't have anything to do with him. He's isolated in the only extra tank I have, a 1 gallon tank. Today he started swimming in circles. He is also tilted when he swims. But still, more than anything, he just sits there. Now though, he is on a 45 degree angle.
Two days ago, we got our first cold weather in Texas. The tank got to 72 degrees overnight. So we turned the heater up. Then the tank got to 80(that evening). so we turned it down alittle. Again, the tank got to about 74 last night. so we have the heater up again. I'm keeping a closer look at the temperature today. All my other fish seem to be doing well.
I'm keeping the tank at 78 degrees,. I have a 37 gallon that's been set up for about a month. I've only had 1 fish die very early on before this fish was ever introduced.
I need to know what it sounds like it wrong with my fish. How is it treated? Can it be treated or should we let nature take control? What caused this? Should I be worried about my other fish? What can I do to prevent it from reoccurring?

At one month, your tank has not cycled. Read up on the nitrogen cycle.