Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
- - may look dumb..... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/may-look-dumb-11963/)
may look dumb.....
But I have a few questions... I have had my tank over a year, never done water changes, or tested anything. I always use water conditioner when adding water, and just a scrubber and magnetic brush for the algea. I am just wondering how often should i change water?
How do I heat it up to make them the same temp?
What kind of tests do I need to get?
How often do you test and what for?
Thanks in advance for your help.
1. You should change 10-50% of your water at least once a week depending on your water params. You shoulb do gravel vacs when needed.
2. I use distilled, room temperature water. This means leaving the wate you should change out for 24hrs. If I can't leave the water out for 24hrs, then I try to get water as close to room temperature a possible.
3. You should get liquid test kit instead of strips.
4. Test once a week. Look for Nitrite (Should be at 0), Ammnoia (0), Nitrate (<20ppm), pH (depending on fish species), water hardness.
If you go to Petsmart they will test your water for you, for free. Thats what I do. They will give you exact amounts too. I think other places do to if you ask.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.