Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Couple questions regarding seachem fertilizers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/couple-questions-regarding-seachem-fertilizers-119599/)

CinBos 11-12-2012 08:40 PM

Couple questions regarding seachem fertilizers
 
I have been using seachems comprehensive for some time, but I have never really known how often to dose . I understand it says on the directions to dose once or twice a week. Sometimes its once for me or sometimes its twice. What do some of you do and whats your schedule, ex. Every 2 days or every 3 days, etc. let me know please.

Also what is the difference between flourish comprehensive and excel?
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 11-12-2012 08:55 PM

Flourish comprehensive is a fertilizer where as Excel is a liquid supplement for Co2.
As for dosing once or tiwce weekly that's going to depend on the kinda of plants you have and lighting schedule. I have always dose every Monday then Thursday (water changes on Sunday). Though like I said it just depends on your tanks needs

CinBos 11-12-2012 08:59 PM

I have alot of hardy plants and fast growing plants. Wisteria, water sprite, Vals, anubias, swords and java moss. As far as lights, 90 leds by marineland.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 11-12-2012 09:25 PM

Here's the thing (as much as I understand/know) Plants will photosynthesis as long as all the elements are there for them. After that point they slow down or stop altogether. Usually Co2 is the limiting factor in natural planted tanks. At this point algae will start using the remainder of the nutrient when the lights are on. If you dose once a week and you don't have an algae problem then you can try twice weekly but if you notice more algae growth I would go back to once a week. Hope that makes sense?

CinBos 11-12-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1308688)
Here's the thing (as much as I understand/know) Plants will photosynthesis as long as all the elements are there for them. After that point they slow down or stop altogether. Usually Co2 is the limiting factor in natural planted tanks. At this point algae will start using the remainder of the nutrient when the lights are on. If you dose once a week and you don't have an algae problem then you can try twice weekly but if you notice more algae growth I would go back to once a week. Hope that makes sense?

It did! Thank you! Do you or have you ever used excel? And do you think I should consider it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 11-12-2012 10:55 PM

Excel is a pretty nasty chemical/s. There are some fish that are sensitive to it and plants like your Vals. It can make them melt. I wouldn't use anything in my tanks that would do that. Though that's just imo.

CinBos 11-12-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1308754)
Excel is a pretty nasty chemical/s. There are some fish that are sensitive to it and plants like your Vals. It can make them melt. I wouldn't use anything in my tanks that would do that. Though that's just imo.

Appreciate the advice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 11-13-2012 03:38 PM

I recall recently reading a question/answer in PFK I think it was, related to this issue of how much nutrient supplementation is needed. The question asked there was about measuring for various minerals like copper, potassium, iron, phosphorus, etc., and the answer was to forget the tests and just observe the plants. The same principle applies here. If the plants are growing well--and algae is not a nuisance--they must be getting what they need. If the plants show obvious signs of problems, then something is missing.

I went down to once weekly with Flourish Comp for several months, but it was clear to me over this period that the plants were not doing all that well. And the floating plants were my chief indicator. Because floating plants are close to the light (so light intensity is not likely an issue for them), and because they can assimilate CO2 from the air faster than from water (so lack of CO2 is not going to be an issue), then any weakening in the floating plants must be due to nutrients in the water. I increased to twice weekly and within about 4-5 weeks noticed an improvement. This week I am experimenting (and will continue this for the next few weeks to get an accurate indication) with 3 doses per week, the second and third not being full but slightly under. I want to see if spreading out the supplementation will benefit.

One also has to consider the GH in all this too. The prime source of hard minerals (the macro nutrients calcium and magnesium primarily) is the water, as these minerals are less than what is sufficient in all commercial fertilizers which are designed for the "average" aquarist with medium hard to fairly hard tap water. I have very soft water (near zero GH) and this makes a difference not only in having to supplement the hard minerals (via Equilibrium or similar) but balancing the trace minerals with this.

Byron.

CinBos 11-13-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1309335)
I recall recently reading a question/answer in PFK I think it was, related to this issue of how much nutrient supplementation is needed. The question asked there was about measuring for various minerals like copper, potassium, iron, phosphorus, etc., and the answer was to forget the tests and just observe the plants. The same principle applies here. If the plants are growing well--and algae is not a nuisance--they must be getting what they need. If the plants show obvious signs of problems, then something is missing.

I went down to once weekly with Flourish Comp for several months, but it was clear to me over this period that the plants were not doing all that well. And the floating plants were my chief indicator. Because floating plants are close to the light (so light intensity is not likely an issue for them), and because they can assimilate CO2 from the air faster than from water (so lack of CO2 is not going to be an issue), then any weakening in the floating plants must be due to nutrients in the water. I increased to twice weekly and within about 4-5 weeks noticed an improvement. This week I am experimenting (and will continue this for the next few weeks to get an accurate indication) with 3 doses per week, the second and third not being full but slightly under. I want to see if spreading out the supplementation will benefit.

One also has to consider the GH in all this too. The prime source of hard minerals (the macro nutrients calcium and magnesium primarily) is the water, as these minerals are less than what is sufficient in all commercial fertilizers which are designed for the "average" aquarist with medium hard to fairly hard tap water. I have very soft water (near zero GH) and this makes a difference not only in having to supplement the hard minerals (via Equilibrium or similar) but balancing the trace minerals with this.

Byron.

Appreciate it, please let us know. For the past 2 weeks I have been dosing 2 times a week. I will continue to do so, but on a more strict schedule, now Tuesday and Thursdays.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2