Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Need sugestions on stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/need-sugestions-stocking-119441/)

lizziefishgirl 11-11-2012 11:08 AM

Need sugestions on stocking

I have one Dwarf Gourami Male and two females. Five albino corys, five black shirt tetra, three candycane tetras, an affrican dwarf frog. What would be a good colorful addition to this tank. The tank Is a 29 gallon, tall

Byron 11-11-2012 03:09 PM

With that selection of fish you are at limit. Black Widow Tetra [another common name for Black Skirt, and the name we use in our profile] can be nippy so watch the gourami as they are prime targets. The frog may be targeted to. Increasing the tetra group can sometimes help in this, but a 29g is small space for this tetra which is not a small species [click the shaded name for the profile data].

What is the "candycane" tetra species? With only 3, it will likely be better with more, but without knowing what it is exactly I hesitate to recommend more.

Byron.

Canadian Fish 11-16-2012 10:36 AM

Platies maybe? I have kept Play with Dwarf Gouramis and various tetras with no problem. I also kept fancy guppies in there. Both platys and guppies come in many colorful variations. HOWEVER, I did not keep them with Black Skirts. So I don't know if the Black Skirts would harass them or not. Byron says they're fin nippers (and he knows) so the fancy guppies may be out for sure.

Harlequin Rasboras might fight in nicely with your tank, but you may want something more colorful than that.

I have 11 black shirt tetras in with some Congo Tetras, and they don't nip at them at all, but they are in large numbers and have a lot of swimming room, which may be the only reason they don't harass the Congos' fins.

When all else fails, Neon Tetras always look great in a school and add a great splash of color.

Oh, and....

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4...bubblfshe0.gif

to the forum!

1077 11-16-2012 11:29 AM

In my expieriences,,the Gourami prefer temp's around 78-80 degree's F while cory's, and many of the tetra's would prefer cooler temp's around 75 degrees F if it is longevity and comfortable condition's for the fishes that are of primary concern.
This info is from my own expieriences ,and folk's are free to place whatever fishes they like in their tank's .
Rummy nose and cardinal tetra's and Sterbai corydoras are more suited for warmer tank's from my observation's as well as some much more expierienced fishkeeper's than myself.

Canadian Fish 11-16-2012 11:45 AM

Going strictly by the profiles on site here, black skirt (black widow) tetras prefer temperatures of 20-26C/68-79F, the dwarf gourami prefers temperatures of 23-28C/73-82F, Platy requires temperatures of 20-28C/68-82F. Better at temperatures in the lower to middle part of the given range.

Strictly speaking I think a tank at 25 C could probably keep these three comfortably, but 1077 has much more experience then I do. I'm just going by the profiles. Possibly they're not up to date? I find they're usually quite reliable.

Byron 11-16-2012 12:24 PM

If my name appears at the bottom of a profile as one of the contributors, the profile is current. Though this does not mean it may not need revision.:-) Slips sometimes get past me.

On this issue of temperature, aquarists have to recognize a couple of things. First, the temperature ranges for each species are taken from ichthyologists and biologists, and if any reputable source disagrees with the others, I list that separately. Rarely does this occur.

Second, tropical waters are not consistent in temperature, and here again most home aquaria are a very artificial environment. There are day highs and night lows, which can be several degrees. There are seasonal variations, warmer during the non-rainy season and cooler during the rainy/wet season. And co-incidentally, it is during the "cooler" season that fish are most active, spawning and feeding, which should tell us something [see below]. Most of us maintain the same temperature day/night and throughout the year, except for summer increases due to hot weather. This is placing the fish in a very un-natural environment to begin with, which makes it even more important to ensure the "constant" temperature is the best temperature.

Third, all fish with few exceptions will live healthier at lower temperatures which means roughly mid-range for that species. The extremes of low and high are tolerable for the species, and might even be so for the long-term. But as noted above, for most species--there are always exceptions--the lower temperatures (mid-range) will be best. The internal physiological balances are easier for the fish to maintain, food digestion is much easier, the immune system is stronger, etc. We know how we feel on very hot days; so do fish, and remember that they cannot control their internal temperature as we can.

Byron.