My mother has a very sick guppy. Internet/book searches have nothing
1. Size of tank?
2. Water parameters
(I honestly don't know the answer to these. I don't think my mother does any testing)
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?
mid 70's (she has a heater that keeps it around the same temp)
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
4 years or more
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
She has guppies (too many) a large pleco and one neon tetra
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No she doesn't have any way to do so as all her tanks are in use.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? All fake
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? a few rocks (they came with the tank and she washed them and then rinsed them in boiling water before using them)
9. I honestly don't remember which filter or heater she uses. I think its Tetra.
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? She uses two lights (Which ever ones came with the tank) and she turns them on around 7 am and off around 8 or 9 pm
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? roughly half the day has sunlight filtered a bit by bamboo blinds so it doesn't raise the temp of the tank
11. a. Water change schedule? I will have to ask her
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
12. Foods? She feed them tetra min
How often are they fed? twice a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? She has one female guppy that is larger than my molly. This guppy has recently become very round and we thought she was very pregnant but lately it seems like there is something much, much worse as it literally looks like her insides are being pushed out her anus. (I'm sorry for the imagery but I have to describe it to get her some help)
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?
My mother has no idea what could be wrong (and the man at the fish store was no help whatsoever) so she doesn't know what to treat for.
Other notes: As I've mentioned in other posts, her tank is very over crowded but she's at a loss for what to do as she cannot afford to buy another tank that will be large enough and she cannot give them away/sell them since no one seem interested. The local pet stores don't accept gd.uppies because they breed to well. I have taken several from her but I don't want to overcrowd my own tank.
My mother is really worried about this guppy but every internet/book search we've done has left us empty handed. Any help would be hugely appreciate
I am new to the hobby, but just recently read a section that given the chance, guppies will eat themselves to death. According to this animal planet book, they will eat till they tear open. I would guess you should put it in a seperate tank or bowl change out the water frequently and don't feed for at least several days. That is the best I know, but I am only booksmart, I am just starting out myself.
If she was eating hersalf to death more then just one would be fat.
She probably has some sort of internal parasite (worms). Google it and are you able to get a pic of it?
I've tried to get a pic but there are far too many fish in the tank and non of them stay still. I will try googling it and see if I can find a pic similar.
Sorry it took me so long to reply.
As it turns out, the guppy passed away as my mother was giving me a ride home that night. Before I even wrote the post. No idea what it was but there are no signs of it with any of the other fish in the tank.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2