Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What is this...... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-119335/)

Boredomb 11-09-2012 07:56 PM

What is this......

5 Attachment(s)
Anyone have any clue as to what kinda plant this is?????
Attachment 68220

Attachment 68221

Attachment 68222

Attachment 68223

Attachment 68224

I got this as a freebie from Petco when I purchased some plant today. LoL gotta love hitchhikers! I just don't know what it is or how to take car of it!

redchigh 11-09-2012 11:16 PM

Looks like saggitaria to me.

Boredomb 11-10-2012 01:26 AM

Sagittaria ??? I have Dwarf Sagittaria in my tank now what's the difference???

redchigh 11-10-2012 01:33 AM

I think it's broadleaf sagittaria.

Boredomb 11-10-2012 01:50 AM

so Sagittaria platyphylla??? Redchigh do you have any experience with this plant??
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 11-10-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1305062)
so Sagittaria platyphylla??? Redchigh do you have any experience with this plant??
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had that in my tank.... honestly it didn't work well at all, not exactly sure why either as everything else in the tank thrived.

They all started to die at the tips and worked its way down. They did have some new growth, but it perished the same way. Maybe they would have made it, but they always looked awful and I was constantly having to cut leaves off so I just pulled them and put other plants in their place.

Hope you have better luck with it!

Boredomb 11-10-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1305134)
I've had that in my tank.... honestly it didn't work well at all, not exactly sure why either as everything else in the tank thrived.

They all started to die at the tips and worked its way down. They did have some new growth, but it perished the same way. Maybe they would have made it, but they always looked awful and I was constantly having to cut leaves off so I just pulled them and put other plants in their place.

Hope you have better luck with it!

Well if I can't get it to grow no harm done as it was a freebie.

Byron 11-10-2012 12:42 PM

I agree it is Sagittaria, and also likely S. platyphylla. I've not had this plant myself. Kassselmann says it is slow growing submersed, requires temperatures 20-24C [68-75F], intensive light in a free standing location, and a nutrient-rich substrate. Water movement helps, and soft slightly acidic water is optimal. Not common in the hobby, [ed: perhaps because of the foregoing requirements].

Byron.

Boredomb 11-10-2012 01:22 PM

Hmmm soo would a soil tank with something like clay be best for this plant? I have those ingredients but I don't have the money for an enrich substrate.

Byron 11-10-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1305388)
Hmmm soo would a soil tank with something like clay be best for this plant? I have those ingredients but I don't have the money for an enrich substrate.

K does specifically mention clay as a good substrate, but I wouldn't set this up for one plant that given it's other needs may not make it.:lol: Substrate fertilizer would suffice in plain sand/gravel. Similar holds for my tiger lotus for example.