Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Glass surfing Assassin snails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/glass-surfing-assassin-snails-119232/)

Laki 11-08-2012 02:47 PM

Glass surfing Assassin snails

Everytime I clean their tank (.5g) they get bloodworms but they also glass surf. I used to use aged tap water and figured there was something left in the water which made them uncomfortable, so tonight I cleaned it, conditioned it and fed them and still one is glass surfing.
The water is usually heated (the 10w is unstable and keeps it 85F so I turn it off) and they receive natural light and have hidey spots.
This behavior lasts a day usually after I clean it. Any ideas?

marshallsea 12-17-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laki (Post 1303073)
Everytime I clean their tank (.5g) they get bloodworms but they also glass surf. I used to use aged tap water and figured there was something left in the water which made them uncomfortable, so tonight I cleaned it, conditioned it and fed them and still one is glass surfing.
The water is usually heated (the 10w is unstable and keeps it 85F so I turn it off) and they receive natural light and have hidey spots.
This behavior lasts a day usually after I clean it. Any ideas?

Do the snails go to the top or do they cruise around on the glass? How do you clean the tank?

Shewbert 12-17-2012 11:02 AM

You didn't mention which assasin you have as there are many different ones, I presume you hava a common yellow with brown markings (Clea helena)
unlike other snails, assasins are not air breathing, if your snail goes out of the water line you have poor aireation. Assasins need a well oxygenated tank.
They are the perfect scavenger.
I normally steer clear of feeding them blood worms etc as they normally clean up uneaten food from the tank, but I do drop a catfish pellet in once a week that the assasins seem to love.
If you have a snail infestation in your tank, a couple of assasins will soon clear them out,,,eggs and all,,,
Try turning up your air pump a little and your snail might be a bit happier.
A very popular snail, they sell out as quick as we can get them.
Let me know how you get on
Ray

Shewbert 12-17-2012 11:19 AM

Sorry just re-read your post, is it only snails that you have in the small tank?
If so you will have to feed, but change diet,, 1 feed bloddworm or live feed, next feed catfish pellets.
If so plenty of areation and filtration, even though this is a small tank it does not need a full waterchange every time as it needs cycling like any other tank, just do a 50% change once a week.
The snails go into shock the same as fish do, you said that you turn the heater off because it gets too hot,,,if there is a thermostat fitted on your heater turn it down as 85deg is way too hot, the glass is cooler than the water,,,hence the snail stays on the glass,, 75-78 is perfect
good luck
ray