Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cleaning a fish tank... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cleaning-fish-tank-119219/)

mrrobinson88 11-08-2012 11:09 AM

Cleaning a fish tank...

I'm due to clean my aquarium for the 1st time since my new set up. I started of with a few casualties in the first few days. I then completed a one week and two week course of ammonia/nitrate and chlorine remover respectively. During and after this I gradually added new fish and since then they appear to be healthy.

I'm going to take out 1/3 of the water, take out the filter from the pump and clean it with this water. I will then throw this water away and replace in the tank with tap water. I will also clean any ornaments with tap water. The gravel on the bottom I will spread about, with the intention of unearthing any dirt, allowing some of it to be sucked into the pump.

Any objections or other tips? And will my tetras/danios/pleck be ok after this?

AndrewM21 11-08-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrobinson88 (Post 1302912)
I'm due to clean my aquarium for the 1st time since my new set up. I started of with a few casualties in the first few days. I then completed a one week and two week course of ammonia/nitrate and chlorine remover respectively. During and after this I gradually added new fish and since then they appear to be healthy.

I'm going to take out 1/3 of the water, take out the filter from the pump and clean it with this water. I will then throw this water away and replace in the tank with tap water. I will also clean any ornaments with tap water. The gravel on the bottom I will spread about, with the intention of unearthing any dirt, allowing some of it to be sucked into the pump.

Any objections or other tips? And will my tetras/danios/pleck be ok after this?

Cleaning the decorations and filter media is a very bad idea. Your filter media contains your beneficial bacteria, this is your aquariums biological filter and it is required in order to maintain a healthy aquarium.

mrrobinson88 11-08-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1302936)
Cleaning the decorations and filter media is a very bad idea. Your filter media contains your beneficial bacteria, this is your aquariums biological filter and it is required in order to maintain a healthy aquarium.

Thanks for the advice, however, I was intending to clean the filter using the existing water from the tank (the 1/3 that will be removed), just to clear it up a bit for future absorption. Not a good idea??

AbbeysDad 11-08-2012 12:42 PM

Okay, first of all there's nothing wrong with cleaning filter media and decor in conditioned water. However, since this is a fairly new setup, I'd leave the filter alone for the first month and let things happen.

So in your procedure,

> Prepare conditioned water as/if necessary.
> Turn off heaters/filters as required.
> If gravel substrate, use a gravel siphon to clean the gravel (if sand, hover siphon above the surface of the sand) and remove 25%-50% of the aquarium water.
> Clean the inside glass with a srubby or magnet cleaners.
> Service the filter(s) in established tank only.
> Refill the tank with appropriately conditioned water of the proper temperature.
> Give fish a special treat to reward for upsetting their world.