Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Betta seems depressed Hides (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/betta-seems-depressed-hides-119156/)

Tyler burkett 11-07-2012 05:34 PM

Betta seems depressed Hides

My betta king is my favorite fish and is always joyfull and i make sure all his needs are met but recently he has been different.he has been hiding behind a new plastic plant i put in there and doesnt move and as far as i know doesnt eat when im watching at least.i do regular waterchanges and recently cleand the gravel but still he wont so much as move.

pittipuppylove 11-07-2012 06:03 PM

What size is the tank? Is it heated (what's the temp) and/or filtered (if so, what is the flow like)? You said you recently added a plastic plant- have you added/changed anything else recently? How often do you change the water and how much do you change? Have you checked the water parameters and if so, what are they? What kind of decorations do you have in with him? What/how often/how much do you feed him?

And I'd be careful with a plastic plant - they have been known to tear betta's delicate fins, which can lead to stress, illness, and other not-so-fun stuff.

thekoimaiden 11-07-2012 08:04 PM

How warm is his water?

What other decorations do you have in the tank? King betta do seem to be more shy than regular betta and need more cover.

Tyler burkett 11-07-2012 08:46 PM

oh. his name is king.he is a crown tailed betta.his tank is not heated but stays pretty warm i have some fake short hair grass and a tiped over light house and it is a filtered 3 gallon tank.i feed him every day 3 times spread evenly and just a pich i have pinpointed how much he will generally eat in 5 minutes.the only thing i have done recently was rinse the entire tank out and re fill it and let it cycle for a few hours.i also noticed that the tips of a few of his little "frills" have a silver streak and the base of some do.is this fin rot? if so how do i fix it.

Tyler burkett 11-07-2012 08:58 PM

i have a picture in my pics of his white on the fins.

Tyler burkett 11-07-2012 09:15 PM

Hagen hornwort is the plastic plant i put in there.

Ogre44 11-07-2012 10:08 PM

I would suggest that rinsing the entire tank out has restarted what cycle you may have had going on in your tank.
I would do 50% water changes daily for a couple of days and see if this doesn't perk him up a bit.

thekoimaiden 11-07-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler burkett (Post 1302323)
oh. his name is king.he is a crown tailed betta.his tank is not heated but stays pretty warm i have some fake short hair grass and a tiped over light house and it is a filtered 3 gallon tank.i feed him every day 3 times spread evenly and just a pich i have pinpointed how much he will generally eat in 5 minutes.the only thing i have done recently was rinse the entire tank out and re fill it and let it cycle for a few hours.i also noticed that the tips of a few of his little "frills" have a silver streak and the base of some do.is this fin rot? if so how do i fix it.

When you say cycle, what do you mean? An aquarium cycle cannot be completed in just a few hours. It takes weeks to build up the proper amount of bacteria in a tank. It sounds like you have an ammonia spike. You have still not given us the readings for things like ammonia and pH. Start doing large daily water changes on the tank. Also getting a heater to maintain a steady warm temp is a good idea. Houses and therefore small tanks cool down at night.

Tyler burkett 11-08-2012 06:36 AM

I will do the water change about 50% daily but belive it or not i turned his bubble stone up (it was low cuz i thought it was bothering him) and he is close to normal.i also swiched out all the plastic plantas and put a rock arch with some more round plastic plants and a silk plant on it and he seems to be getting better.but i will be putting a heater in there once i get one but i am more worrid about weather he has a disease or not.