Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants from Petco and Petsmart (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-petco-petsmart-118967/)

CinBos 11-06-2012 02:25 PM

Plants from Petco and Petsmart

Has anyone ever bought plants from these chains? I am not refering to the plants out of their plant tank (which I hear they are doing away with), but the plants in the plastic tubes, where the roots are buried in some gel forumla. Most of the plants are average plants, that can be bought pretty much anywhere, like Java Fern, Amazon Swords, Anubias Nana, etc.

Has anyone ever purchased these plants from them? And how have they faired for you?

fish monger 11-06-2012 02:56 PM

I've only purchased the notorious mondo grass from Petsmart through my own ignorance. Don't have any experience with the packaged plants.

CinBos 11-06-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1300653)
I've only purchased the notorious mondo grass from Petsmart through my own ignorance. Don't have any experience with the packaged plants.

whats notorious about mondo grass

fish monger 11-06-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 1300655)
whats notorious about mondo grass

It's not a true aquatic plant and will slowly die in your tank.

CinBos 11-06-2012 03:56 PM

Oh ok, i understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 11-06-2012 04:00 PM

I have, they've all worked out fine except one bunch of Wisteria. I have only tried Petsmart though and not Petco.

Just be sure to avoid at all costs the ones that have a "Semi-Aquatic" sticker on top. Those are not aquatic at all and will die quickly if under water.

They are starting to sell some in vacuum packed bags hanging on racks in cardboard boxes. There is a little window in the cardboard so you can see the plants. The plants are extremely young, but you get a decent number. I haven't personally tried them yet.

CinBos 11-06-2012 04:48 PM

I have some from the store as well I was just seeing how everybody else faired
Posted via Mobile Device

LADY K 11-06-2012 05:51 PM

i got topfin cryptocoryne wendtii green from petsmart in the little clear package mine are doing great getting ready to put some in my other tanks.all the other plants in the tubes are doing good also:-) except i don't have luck with amazon sword:-(

Boredomb 11-06-2012 07:11 PM

About the only ones I have bought like that are Anubias. All of them are doing fine.

CinBos 11-06-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1300929)
About the only ones I have bought like that are Anubias. All of them are doing fine.

Yeah I agree to, my anubias are good, just my swords arent doing so hot. Some did see someone mentioned that the playsand may be to fine and packed and that the roots may not grow out, which will affect the plant itself...any truth to that?
Posted via Mobile Device