Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tank reccomendation for a Black Moor? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tank-reccomendation-black-moor-11895/)

Cody 02-15-2008 10:58 PM

Tank reccomendation for a Black Moor?

If I were to keep a Black Moor, what would be the smallest tank it would need to be kept in? I know they need good filters and produce a lot of waste, but I don't know the exact tank size for a single Moor.

herefishy 02-15-2008 11:05 PM

A heavily filtered 55g.

herefishy 02-18-2008 03:37 PM

Just a little note for you Cody, a black moor was one of my very first fish over 46 years ago. I really don't care for many coldwater fish but the black moor and calico oranda will always be special to me.

Ridewithme38 11-28-2011 10:51 AM

Goldfish need a large tank....Mostly because of the amount of waste they produce right? They produce all this waste because they are lacking stomach's....

If someone were to run two WELL CYCLED AC 110's on say a 10 gallon BARE BOTTOM tank that they vacuumed daily....Would that be an ok enviroment for a Fancy Tail goldfish?

And if not...Why?

1077 11-28-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridewithme38 (Post 905578)
Goldfish need a large tank....Mostly because of the amount of waste they produce right? They produce all this waste because they are lacking stomach's....

If someone were to run two WELL CYCLED AC 110's on say a 10 gallon BARE BOTTOM tank that they vacuumed daily....Would that be an ok enviroment for a Fancy Tail goldfish?

And if not...Why?

Aquaclear 110 produces something in the range of 450 GPH. One by itself, would be equivalent to placing the goldfish in whirlpool.Fancy tail would be ripped to shreds.
Why would anyone do this?
I could keep an eagle in a bird cage,raise a child in a closet,doesn't mean they would thrive.

Ridewithme38 11-28-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 905609)
Aquaclear 110 produces something in the range of 450 GPH. One by itself, would be equivalent to placing the goldfish in whirlpool.Fancy tail would be ripped to shreds.
Why would anyone do this?
I could keep an eagle in a bird cage,raise a child in a closet,doesn't mean they would thrive.

So its a size and movement issue?

BTW: Granted the two AC 110's on a 10 Gallon was just an example of a way to keep the tank/water spotless, while still heavily cycled ....While i don't have an AC110 on a 10gallon, i have an AC110 and a TopFin 30(650 GPH total) on a 29 gallon, and my three goldfish are loving it

With goldfish is it more important to have a longer tank or a wider tank? if only given the choice of one or the other?

Calmwaters 11-28-2011 06:27 PM

Cody you would need at least 20 gallons for the first fish and then 10 gallons for each additional fish.

Ridewithme38 11-28-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 905974)
Cody you would need at least 20 gallons for the first fish and then 10 gallons for each additional fish.

This is the common belief...and i would never recommend otherwise...i've gotten a why, Goldfish are dirty fish, but this can be fixed with a quality filter

Fancy goldfish aren't really active fish, but they do get to 6"-8"+ maybe thats why? Actually after writing this i'm realizing size is the exact reason

Calmwaters 11-28-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridewithme38 (Post 906085)
This is the common belief...and i would never recommend otherwise...i've gotten a why, Goldfish are dirty fish, but this can be fixed with a quality filter

Fancy goldfish aren't really active fish, but they do get to 6"-8"+ maybe thats why? Actually after writing this i'm realizing size is the exact reason

Then I must have odd fantail goldies because mine swim all over the tank all the time, :lol: and yes they can get that size if they are well cared for. Also wanted to add that a filter that cycles the water at least 10 times per hour is best for goldies for example if you had a 20 gallon tank you would need a filter rated at 200 GPH.

Ridewithme38 11-28-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 906141)
Then I must have odd fantail goldies because mine swim all over the tank all the time, :lol: and yes they can get that size if they are well cared for. .

I have a Black Moor(1/2"-1") and a fantail(that may end up being a redtop oranda)(1"-2") and a common(just under 3")...compared to the common, they're not that active....i'd consider a common an averagely active fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 906141)
Also wanted to add that a filter that cycles the water at least 10 times per hour is best for goldies for example if you had a 20 gallon tank you would need a filter rated at 200 GPH

Now would that be the recommended minimum because they are such dirty fish? For instance i have an Aquaclear 110(rated 500gph) a Topfin 30 (rated 150gph) a 3" sponge filter and a 4" sponge filter(no idea how those work with gph) on a 30 gallon tank....currently i'm doing two 50% water changes a week because my cycle literally just finished a couple days ago and my tank is smaller then recommended(i'm growing the common out so he doesn't become food in the pond)....because of my close to 20x per hour filtration, could i relax a bit on the tank size of vaccuum rates?