Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Green water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/green-water-118917/)

thekinetic 11-05-2012 10:10 PM

Green water

So I have a 10 gallon tank with few fish in it and no live plants. At first the water was a little cloudy but I know that is normal but then the water turned greenish. Now I know this to be algae in the water but what I can't figure out is how to get rid of it?

I've observed it a few days and noticed it wanes in the evening so I I though mabey daylight was seeping through a gap between the shade so I taped it shut. But I want it gone quicker if possible and I am not sure about water clarifier as all it seems to do according to the bottle is make the particles sink to the bottom.

So I would appreciate any advise!:-)

beaslbob 11-06-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekinetic (Post 1300036)
So I have a 10 gallon tank with few fish in it and no live plants. At first the water was a little cloudy but I know that is normal but then the water turned greenish. Now I know this to be algae in the water but what I can't figure out is how to get rid of it?

I've observed it a few days and noticed it wanes in the evening so I I though mabey daylight was seeping through a gap between the shade so I taped it shut. But I want it gone quicker if possible and I am not sure about water clarifier as all it seems to do according to the bottle is make the particles sink to the bottom.

So I would appreciate any advise!:-)

Killing the lights and suspending feeding will clear up the tank usually in a few days but it can take 2-3 weeks in extreme cases.

When clear you resume with less lighting and feeding and adjust both so the tank stays clear.

And I always recommend you add fast growing plants like anacharis to consume the nutrients instead of the green water/algae

my .02

thekinetic 11-06-2012 08:35 PM

Hmm I think you're right about limiting the lighting as I checked the tanks flourescent tube and it's the daylight kind which I suppose would mean it's full spectrum. Perhaps if I switch to a non daylight tube, do you think it would help?

Byron 11-06-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekinetic (Post 1300963)
Hmm I think you're right about limiting the lighting as I checked the tanks flourescent tube and it's the daylight kind which I suppose would mean it's full spectrum. Perhaps if I switch to a non daylight tube, do you think it would help?

If there are no live plants, then expect some type of algae. Any light plus the nutrients will allow algae to grow. This is natural. Adding plants, especially fast growers as was mentioned, can work to keep algae minimal.

When it is green water, there is usually a very high nutrient content plus significant light. In other words, the biology is not balanced. How long is the tank light on? Are you over feeding? Are there too many fish for the volume? Are you doing regular weekly partial water changes of 1/3 to 1/2 the tank, and vacuuming the substrate at each?

Byron.

thekinetic 11-06-2012 09:52 PM

The light is on quite a while(about 5-8 hours) but it varies. There is a guppy and six neons so it is far from overstocked. I feed them twice a day in smaller amounts.

As for the water changes and vacuuming, well I'm actually an old hand at keeping fish and from my experiance it is not good to do changes on so often a basis due to it being important to keep the water stable. I vacuum and change the water when I change the filter which is every 3 weeks to a month.

Honostly it hasn't affected the fish in the least, as a matter of fact they seem to be more active now. It's really just an aesthetic sort of eyesore that takes away from the fish's beauty.:-)

Byron 11-07-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekinetic (Post 1301112)
The light is on quite a while(about 5-8 hours) but it varies. There is a guppy and six neons so it is far from overstocked. I feed them twice a day in smaller amounts.

As for the water changes and vacuuming, well I'm actually an old hand at keeping fish and from my experiance it is not good to do changes on so often a basis due to it being important to keep the water stable. I vacuum and change the water when I change the filter which is every 3 weeks to a month.

Honostly it hasn't affected the fish in the least, as a matter of fact they seem to be more active now. It's really just an aesthetic sort of eyesore that takes away from the fish's beauty.:-)

Thinking has changed a lot over the years. The hobby has made significant advances in the science and understanding.

First, feeding adult fish (i.e., not fry which need more) once a day is sufficient, and then missing a day (the water change day) or even two a week won't hurt.

Water changes should be every week, there is plenty of scientific evidence on this. I'm not going to spell it all out, as I just finished an article, so please have a read:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...hanges-117205/

Green water won't hurt fish short-term, but it is a sign of something wrong biologically. And that is bound to take its toll in time.

beaslbob 11-07-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekinetic (Post 1300963)

I use 6500k (degrees kelvin) lighting. but 5500-6500 will work find and give you a nice blue/white light.

Lower will be a red white. above 6500k will be a very dark blue light.

AbbeysDad 11-09-2012 08:48 AM

Although your bio-load is very low, your fish (and your algae problem) will benefit from a 2.5g to 5g weekly water change. This will reduce excess nutrients feeding the algae. If you add plants, even floating, you 'could' get by with slightly less volume or frequency of water changes. However, we tend to error on the side of more fresh water to dilute the pollution.

boxercrazy156 11-10-2012 03:16 PM

I had green water in my 30 gallon even though I was doing weekly water changes I was overfeeding leaving my light on to long. I tried everything suggested doing more water changes I tried the 72 hour black out but it kept coming back a uv sterilizer fixed the problem also tried phosphate reducers some times that works the peat packets