Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Temperature drop & fish eggs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/temperature-drop-fish-eggs-118771/)

rjordan390 11-04-2012 09:26 AM

Temperature drop & fish eggs

Hurricane Sandy caused a electrical power failure and was not restored until 2-1/2 days later. So my tank temperature dropped 14 degrees F from 76 to 62 degrees. Fortunately, all the fish survived but I suspect that a pair of kribenses had mated and there might have been eggs inside of a 1/2 size coconut shell. I did not want to disturb the shell to find out for sure. However I did see the female dumping gravel at the entrance to the shell.
So the question is: If there were eggs, would the 14 degree F temperature drop spoil the eggs?

Thoth 11-06-2012 09:05 PM

Did the eggs hatch? It would be nice to know if that large of a temp would have an effect on the eggs.

rjordan390 11-07-2012 09:17 PM

I did not want to disturb the coconut shell to see if eggs were present. But both male and female kribs will swim around the tank together and one would think if there were eggs, then one would stay at the shell to guard them.

lucklein 11-10-2012 01:09 AM

My Kribs had little ones who came out in the open just last week. The mother had disappeared into her cave and I literally didn't see her for a few days. When she finally emerged, she had a school of babies with her. I think that if your fish are "expecting", then you wouldn't see the mom for a few days. That was my experience.

rjordan390 11-10-2012 07:23 AM

I'll be watching the female krib. It does appear fatter then before. It may be eggs. I noticed that for three days it was reluctant to enter the cave. But yesterday, both male & female went into the cave.
I also noticed both did a shimmy type dance before going into the cave.
If eggs are laid and they hatch, I'll have to let nature take its course and then remove the female or male and give it back to the fishstore. I do not have the room to raise fry.

Tolak 11-13-2012 08:47 PM

Usually cooler temperatures will result in a longer hatching time. Temperatures vary in nature, and kribs are pretty hardy as far as cichlids go. One advantage to a bit lower temps is any bacteria & the resulting fungus will grow slower as well.

rjordan390 11-14-2012 01:57 AM

While syphoning the tank, I disturbed the gravel that the female excavated and placed just outside to the entrance of the cave. Within a day she repaired it. Now both fish have to turn sideways to enter. The male is about 2-1/4 inches and the female is about 1-3/4 inches. I'll check the profiles to see if their size indicates if they are mature enough to re-produce.

Roadrider 11-23-2012 07:05 AM

Sounds interesting. I’m not quite sure about the drop of temperature has done to the egg. Since the problem occurred for approximately two hours it won’t affect the fish.

fish monger 11-23-2012 09:55 AM

Seems unclear whether there were eggs. As general information, lower temperatures result in more female fry and higher temperatures result in more male fry. It would seem that temperatures outside of the normal comfort range would result in non viable eggs.

rjordan390 11-23-2012 07:56 PM

It's confirmed.
There were eggs and tonight at feeding time I saw that both kribs appeared to be feeding on the bottom. I then saw what appeared at first to be tiny pieces of food moving. Then I realized I was looking at fry. The fry fed for 5 minutes and then the female gathered them up and deposited them back into the coconut shell.