Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Medicating Scaleless Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/medicating-scaleless-fish-118745/)

Sakura8 11-03-2012 11:53 PM

Medicating Scaleless Fish

My electric catfish appears to have cloudy eye with a bit of blood in it so it looks like he needs some antibiotics. I've never medicated a scaleless fish before and I know that they are sensitive to medications. The medication I will be using is erythromycin, which is supposed to be very effective against eye infections. How best should I go about administering this? I'll most likely be moving him to a 20+ gallon rubbermaid tub for treatment, since his 55gal has snails.

Any and all advice is welcomed.

Blackfeet 11-05-2012 08:26 PM

Generally it is half the normal dosage, though it should tell you on the packaging.

Sakura8 11-05-2012 10:28 PM

Okay, thanks. :)

Reefing Madness 11-05-2012 11:05 PM

I've had my Tangs get bump on the eyeballs all the time. I don't dose anything. They have the ability to heal. Took about 2 weeks.

Sakura8 11-05-2012 11:08 PM

Okay. He had stopped eating at one point and that's why I was worried but it seems like he's got his appetite back. So I should take a wait and see approach?

1077 11-06-2012 07:42 AM

Medication's are last resort for me.(not everybody)
Recently aquired a young firemouth that developed cloudy eye's (2).
After a couple week's of twice weekly 50 perecent water changes,,the eye's are clear once again.
In any event.. making a paste of food/medication,abit of water, and getting the fish to eat same,,is better approach than treating water.(For me)
I have in the past, mixed equal amount's of crushed pill's /powder, with fish food, and a bit of water to make said paste ,and then freeze the mixture and break off chunk's for fishes to eat.
Help's to not feed the fish for three or four day's before feeding the medicated food and only feed the medicated food while treating.
Treating the water in isolation tank can work well also ,but I have had better luck (assuming fish is eating) with the medicated food .
I would try the twice weekly water changes first for a few week's ,maybe lower temperature a bit to slow any bacterial progression .

Reefing Madness 11-06-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura8 (Post 1300106)
Okay. He had stopped eating at one point and that's why I was worried but it seems like he's got his appetite back. So I should take a wait and see approach?

Yea, I'd wait. Messes em up when they bang themselves. I don't like medications either unless absolute necessary.

Sakura8 11-06-2012 04:03 PM

Waiting it is. Which works out, since I wouldn't have been able to get meds until tomorrow anyway. Thanks everyone!!!