Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Bottom Swimmers? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bottom-swimmers-118736/)

pittipuppylove 11-03-2012 09:10 PM

Bottom Swimmers?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to eventually get some sort of bottom-dweller for my 15 gallon tank, and was wondering if you guys would have any suggestions. The tank currently houses seven guppies (turns out three are female, but the biology department of my college is taking any fry I can find so I get rid of those fairly quickly), two Glowlight Danios (I plan to eventually plan to have five or six as soon as my LFS gets them in, I kinda got the ones I have now by accident), and as many pond snails and malasian trumpet snails as the tank will support. Substrate is CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand, temperature kept at 74*F, filtered with an AquaClear 30, and planted with a bunch of live plants; the pH is 7.6-7.8, with a very high KH. I do a 50% water change once weekly. Here's a list of fish I've been considering:
-Cories of some sort - I really like the little guys and the lps's often have a few different species to choose from, but I hear they don't take well to moving and I have to move the tank periodically to and from school and house, which is a three hour drive.
-Kuhlii Loaches - Dunno how they'd do in harder water.
-Java Loaches - Basically same concerns as with the Kuhliis, and it'd seem my tank's temp is a bit low for them?
-Bristlenose Pleco - The profile on this site says they can live in a 15 gallon, but would the bioload from one of these be too much for the tank?
-Rubbernose/Bulldog Pleco - I saw some of these at Petsmart and think they're really cool fish, but when I research them, there seems to be a lot of different opinions as to their minimum tank size.

Any comments/concerns on any of these fish, or other ideas? Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Leah

SinCrisis 11-03-2012 09:58 PM

To be honest, your tank is already pretty well stocked with what you have. The pleco's are definitely out, even if they are the smaller variety. The same goes for the loaches. Cory's are the best of the options you listed but your tank really shouldn't take on any more stock. Cory's are best kept in groups of 3-6 at LEAST. Three would be a bit much considering your guppies and snails. 15 gallons gives you very limited options so I think you would be best off sticking with what you have until you can upgrade to something bigger.

pittipuppylove 11-03-2012 10:32 PM

I was kinda afraid if that, but I'm alright with that as well. lol That just means I have excess time to plan a tank for after I graduate.
Posted via Mobile Device