Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   new aquarium sugestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-aquarium-sugestions-118691/)

Tyler burkett 11-03-2012 11:23 AM

new aquarium sugestions

I have a 20 or so gal. tank im going to set up with a pleco of sorts and a centerpeice fish.i was thinking a king tiger pleco or royal pleco. im looking to see who things what fish would look good in the tank with the pleco.i was thingking an albino rainbow shark or a german blue ram or electric blue ram. anyone who wants to post an opinion is welcome to it.

Byron 11-03-2012 06:27 PM

In a 20g tank you do not have sufficient space for a Royal Pleco that attains over 13 inches. The King Tiger Pleco, assuming it is the species Hypancistrus sp. (L066) at 5 inches is manageable.

I would not combine a Blue Ram (whichever variety, the species is the same, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) with the KTP due to differing water flow needs; the pleco comes from the Rio Xingu and thus requires a good current and preferably slightly lower temperature than the rams appreciate, as they come from small pools, ponds, slow streams that are warm.

The Rainbow Shark should be on its own, as it often takes a dislike to other bottom fish as it notes in our profile.

Byron.

Tyler burkett 11-04-2012 09:48 AM

Yah i knew the rams and the pleco needed different need so they wouldn't work out to well i was more worried about the albino rainbow shark and the pleco but both of them being bottom dwellers it does make sense for them to not work out to well.My first choice was a red tailed black shark but i wanted to have others with it but i suppose that would beautiful in its own tank if set up right.

Rdb2013 11-04-2012 10:54 AM

Is a 20g sufficient space for either of these sharks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tyler burkett 11-04-2012 11:00 AM

yah.an albino rainbow is smaller than the normal. and a red tailed black shark doesnt get any bigger than 4-5 inches.and albino is the same size range.

Tyler burkett 11-04-2012 11:09 AM

Well i take that back.the red tailed shark if fed enough can reach 8 inches and then a 20 gal tank is not big enough but the fish is a product of enviorment if you feed them alot they will grow bigger.i had one in a 20 gal tank and it didnt get bigger than 3 inches.but then i have a friend who has the same shark in a 40 gallon tank because he fed it 4 times a day and i fed it 3 and different food.it all depends so in some fish you can in a sense "control" the size or at least the growth of the fish.

Canadian Fish 11-04-2012 01:29 PM

A Bristlenose Pleco is very nice. They don't get very large, but large enough to be entertaining. I have kept them in a 20 gallon before.

A school of Harlequin Rasboras would be very nice. I know it's not the one big fish you were looking for, but they're really nice fish.

Corydoras are great bottom feeds for a 20 gallon. Mine are constantly scouring the bottom of the tank.

Have fun with your new tank!

Rdb2013 11-04-2012 03:14 PM

even on the fish profiles here at TFK, the profile for the rainbow shark (albino and normal) states it attains 6 inches and needs at least a 48 inch tank.

I had one not to long ago in a 29 gallon, which i re homes because the albino reached probably 3.5 inches in the 2 months i had him, and after speaking with people on here, and reading and observing the shark, i could tell he got much less active as he grew, due to not being able to swim around like he used to in that small of a tank.

My 2 cents.

Byron 11-04-2012 04:37 PM

The suggestion one sometimes reads that a potentially large fish (i.e., a fish that attains say 6 inches) will remain smaller and be fine in a smaller tank is erroneous, and cruel to the fish. Fish continue to grow throughout their lives, and this involves the external skeleton and the internal organs. Fish that are forced to live in too small a space for the species will not develop properly, which can result in stunting. Such fish may look OK externally, but they are in poor health, will have continual problems due to the space, and die prematurely.

Fish need sufficient space in which to develop, which is one aspect of this and the one usually connected to the water quality. They also need sufficient space to live "normally," and this is solely the environmental aspect which is the tank size and how it is aquascaped.

Our profiles for each species provide a minimum tank size for the fish at maturity, and if this cannot be provided, the fish should not be acquired. Other relevant data on the environment, numbers, etc. is also included in the profiles. Most of the profiles were compiled by me, using data from knowledgeable ichthyologists, biologists and acknowledged authorities.

Byron.

Tyler burkett 11-04-2012 07:01 PM

Funny thing about the harlaquin rasboras and corys.i have another tank with both haha XD but i have decided a pleco or group of corrys and a group of tetras or some mollies.