Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Eco complete (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/eco-complete-118689/)

CinBos 11-03-2012 11:11 AM

Eco complete

Could I use this in spots for where my plants will be?
I plant to have planted tank, just not sure how many plants yet.
Also, can I place the eco complete under the play sand that I plan to use?

Or, will I need eco complete at all? Could I just use qikrete play sand as my complete substrate?
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 11-03-2012 02:34 PM

You won't want to mix Eco-complete together sand. The sand will eventually sink down through the Eco and you will have a mess. Best to use one or the other.
What substrate do you have now? Sand alone is fine for plants as long as you add fertilizer. Sand has no nutrient valve for plants so if you have heavy root feeders you need to add some root tablets.
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 11-03-2012 02:39 PM

In my 125gal I have pool filter sand. I have an extra bag lying around, but i think i may want something alittle darker like play sand. I only plan on having a bariety of swords im there, along with some floating plants.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 11-03-2012 03:23 PM

Pool filter sand is bright that's for sure! Playsand is usually darker (atleast in my area) Swords will be fine in the sand but you have to have some root tablets for them as they are heavy root feeders.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 11-03-2012 03:27 PM

In addition to the mixing issue that Boredomb mentioned, in my view these enriched substrates are of little value. I can only speak for Flourite (which Ihave in my 70g) but I will include Eco-complete in this, as plant sources have told me they are basically identical in how they work. So, they are of little value for the cost.

I spent $180 for Flourite for my 70g some 15 months ago, and the same species of plants under the same lighting and with fertilization being the same in all tanks have been growing no better with Flourite than in plain playsand. My larger swords in the playsand do get Flourish Tabs as well as Flourish Comp liquid. The 70g is dosed the same with Flourish Comp twice weekly to keep the plants alive. The Flourite was a real disappointment, and I am intending on removing it for playsand one of these days.

Byron.

CinBos 11-03-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1296829)
Pool filter sand is bright that's for sure! Playsand is usually darker (atleast in my area) Swords will be fine in the sand but you have to have some root tablets for them as they are heavy root feeders.
Posted via Mobile Device

root tablets?

Boredomb 11-03-2012 03:41 PM

Like seachem root tabs (sorry not tablets)

CinBos 11-03-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1296834)
In addition to the mixing issue that Boredomb mentioned, in my view these enriched substrates are of little value. I can only speak for Flourite (which Ihave in my 70g) but I will include Eco-complete in this, as plant sources have told me they are basically identical in how they work. So, they are of little value for the cost.

I spent $180 for Flourite for my 70g some 15 months ago, and the same species of plants under the same lighting and with fertilization being the same in all tanks have been growing no better with Flourite than in plain playsand. My larger swords in the playsand do get Flourish Tabs as well as Flourish Comp liquid. The 70g is dosed the same with Flourish Comp twice weekly to keep the plants alive. The Flourite was a real disappointment, and I am intending on removing it for playsand one of these days.

Byron.

Awesome, no better person to hear it from. i think I will stick with the play sand then, much much much cheaper. Now that I dont have to worry about eco-complete, i now have a smile on my face.

CinBos 11-03-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1296850)
Like seachem root tabs (sorry not tablets)

Ok, I looked it up as soon as I posted that. I will grab some of them. Is that something I will need right off the bat for all my plants?

Byron 11-03-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinBos (Post 1296837)
root tablets?

Seachem make Flourish Tabs, which is a tablet that you poke down close to the plant. They last about 3 months. I only use these next to the large swords, and the Red Tiger Lotus. My pygmy chain swords and chain swords and crypts are all in playsand with no tabs and growing fine just with Flourish Comp liquid.

API also make a root tab but others have reported problems so I would not use it. Nutrafin used to make sticks which I found the best, but I have not been able to find them anywhere locally or online for months now, so I assume they no longer make them. Pity, because they lasted a year and the swords exploded in growth.

Byron.