Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   My Ideas for a 55 Gallon..Input please! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-ideas-55-gallon-input-please-118485/)

CinBos 10-31-2012 04:25 PM

My Ideas for a 55 Gallon..Input please!
 
This weekened I will be picking up a 55 Gallon Aquarium with Stand and Emperor 400 Filter. I am pretty stoked about this, because I already have my 125 Gallon with my larger/predator cichlids, and I want to create a biotope of smaller peaceful cichlids.

Here are my ideas for what I am looking at:

Inhabitant:
3-4 Angelfish (Will wait till 2 pair off and then I will move the others)
3-4 Rams (Not sure which type I want yet)
3-4 Oto Catfish
10-12 Neon Tetra (Want a cool schooling fish to accent the tank and angels)

Plants and Decor:
Amazon Swords
Water Sprite and Wisteria
Pygmy Chain Swords
Java Moss
Scattered Driftwood or Single Centerpiece driftwood
Maybe some Anubias (But I want to keep this aquarium to a specific Biotope)

Fertilization:
Seachem Flourish Comprehensize

Filteration:
Modified Marineland Emperor 400 (Modified just as the one is in the library)

Background:
Painted Flat Black

Substrate:
Not sure where I want to go with this yet...ANY IDEAS? Currently using pool filter sand for my 125 Gallon, wasn't sure if there is something better out there.

Lighting:
Blue and White LEDs with a Dimmer!

This is where I am at right now. So what do you all think? Any Ideas or maybe some direction of where I should go with it?

djembekah 10-31-2012 04:55 PM

can rams go with angelfish?

CinBos 10-31-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 1294104)
can rams go with angelfish?

Yes. Seen and read about many tank setups having the combo. Rams are one of the most peaceful cichlids, and they both actually come from the same biotope.

Byron 10-31-2012 09:05 PM

I would select a different characin than neon tetra, as these are quite likely to be eaten by angelfish. Linear fish should be avoided, and instead go with the disk-shaped tetrta like the Rosy Tetra, Roberts Tetra, etc in Hyhessobrycon. The two I've mentioned wll add some colour, which you mention wantng. Obviously avoid any nippers, like the Serpae in this same genus.

On the substrate, if you want to re-create the Amazon, use play sand. The Quikrete tan [actually a mix of black, tan, white and gray] that Home Depot and Lowe's carry is almost identical to the sand in Amazonia. And substrate fish like corys will feel right at home.

Byron.

Tazman 10-31-2012 09:48 PM

Rams and angels can live together but they must be introduced at the same time otherwise it can cause issues.

Agree with everything else that has been said and the stocking looks good.

CinBos 10-31-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1294284)
I would select a different characin than neon tetra, as these are quite likely to be eaten by angelfish. Linear fish should be avoided, and instead go with the disk-shaped tetrta like the Rosy Tetra, Roberts Tetra, etc in Hyhessobrycon. The two I've mentioned wll add some colour, which you mention wantng. Obviously avoid any nippers, like the Serpae in this same genus.

On the substrate, if you want to re-create the Amazon, use play sand. The Quikrete tan [actually a mix of black, tan, white and gray] that Home Depot and Lowe's carry is almost identical to the sand in Amazonia. And substrate fish like corys will feel right at home.

Byron.

I will be looking into that sand.

Also, would cardinal tetras do? What is the huge different between neon and cardinal tetras? They almost look identical to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 10-31-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1294304)
Rams and angels can live together but they must be introduced at the same time otherwise it can cause issues.

Agree with everything else that has been said and the stocking looks good.

I will introduce them at the same time then. I will try introducing 2 of each at first, and then I will introduce the rest 3 or 4 days from then. I dont want to stress the bioload too much. Also, I think it will help with all the plants and excess media from my 125gal to help kick start the cycling...or what little cycling I will need done. I have plenty of swords and wisteria and water sprite to throw in when I get it up in running.
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 11-01-2012 02:38 PM

Also is it essential to ensure I have a pair by placing 4-6 angels in the aquarium at first, or can I just throw 2 or 3 in there? Not sure if I care too much about creating a pair at this point.

Sherry1966 11-01-2012 04:19 PM

The only difference I see with the neon and the cardinals is that the cardinals have a full red stripe on their belly tail to nose, and the neons red stripe only goes half way tail to middle of belly. They are both beautiful little fish. My hubby is legally blind and he can watch these colourful fish in the tank. I chose the cardinals. Due to the full red belly.
I have 20 cardinal tetra's in my 55g with my 5 angels. No problems at all. My angels are only 8 months old though.

CinBos 11-01-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry1966 (Post 1294915)
The only difference I see with the neon and the cardinals is that the cardinals have a full red stripe on their belly tail to nose, and the neons red stripe only goes half way tail to middle of belly. They are both beautiful little fish. My hubby is legally blind and he can watch these colourful fish in the tank. I chose the cardinals. Due to the full red belly.
I have 20 cardinal tetra's in my 55g with my 5 angels. No problems at all. My angels are only 8 months old though.

This is what I am think about doing as well. Could you post a pic of your school of tetras. Curious to see how they all look in your 55gal.

I guess now all I need to figure out is a little more about the eco-complete for my plants.

Could I place eco-complete under my sand substrate?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2