Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   rounding out the tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/rounding-out-tank-11845/)

fishhead 02-14-2008 10:30 AM

rounding out the tank

Hi all,

So far the most vexing part of my fish tank is completing the stocking of it :)

Due to space limitiations, my 12 gallon Eclipse tank is as big as I could get. Currently it houses 5 Harlie rasboras and 1 hillstream loach. After pretty much deciding a small school (4) of dwarf/pygmy cories would be perfect, I discover I can't find them locally. I'm investigating online buying but also perusing alternatives; chief among them would be just increasing the school of Rasboras by 2 or 3. I know they're easy to find and I know they'll be perfectly compatible in the tank and won't overstock it - and might even increase the schooling behavior even more.

Essentially I'm trying to exhaust alternatives now so a week after I finish stocking I don't learn about an option that would've been perfect :)

Amphitrite 02-14-2008 10:44 AM

Have you tried asking your LFS if they could order you some pygmy cories?

fish_4_all 02-14-2008 11:15 AM

You seem to have a plan but remember to try and deal with the fish needs also. From what I understand, Hillstream loaches prefer a strong current where other fish might not like it at all. You might have fish that do like a current but make sure that if you do provide one that there is a place they can get out of the current and rest.

fishhead 02-14-2008 12:03 PM

Mine seems to have adjusted quite well; the water flows out from the filter into the tank (rather than dropping into it) which creates a bit of a current, and I've an airstone to aid in oxygenation and increasing surface agitation. The Rasbora's love playing in the current too at times.

I've kept an eye on the hillie and he's been pretty active, and hasn't just stayed around the airstone or the water return. I have some river rocks in there as I've read they find it easier to eat algae off smooth surfaces. I have a supply of rocks that I can place in water outside (when it warms up) to grow algae on and then place in the tank. So the hillie I think is fine.

I might ask my favorite LFS if they can 'special order' some pygmy cories.

crazy4fish 02-14-2008 03:43 PM

i would try and ask for some cories.

jeaninel 02-15-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

The Rasbora's love playing in the current too at times
That's funny that you mention that. Mine do the same thing. They love to play in the outflow of the filter even though I've read that Rasboras like calm water.

fishhead 02-15-2008 08:26 AM

I guess the fish don't read the same websites we do :)