Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Question about powerheads (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/question-about-powerheads-118429/)

Canadian Fish 10-30-2012 09:37 PM

Question about powerheads

Since I started using a python for water changes instead of buckets, I notice my rainbowfish seem to enjoy swimming against the current, so I am considering putting in a powerhead. I have never used one before. They're in a 4ft 55 gallon tank.

I think it would be good to have one in my Silver Dollar tank as well, because there's a Hillstream Loach in there, and I know he would enjoy it. This is also a 4 ft 55 gallon tank.

Finally, I plan on putting clown loaches in my 220, and I hear they also like a current, so I want one for that tank as well.

My question is, what size do I need? I don't know anything about powerheads.

This is the brand I would like to go with, as they are affordable:

Maxi-Jet Pro 1200 Powerhead // Aquarium Supplies Canada - Pond Supplies Canada - Reptile Supplies Canada // Pets & Ponds

Here are the specs for the various sizes:

Model 1200: 295 gph in power head mode. 1300 gph in circulation mode
Model 900: 230 gph in power head mode. 1000 gph in circulation mode
Model 600: 160 gph in power head mode. 750 gph in circulation mode
Model 400: 110 gph in power head mode. 500 gph in circulation mode

Am I correct that for my purposes I will be using circulation mode?
I assume I'll need the 1200 for the 220, but I am wondering which one would be best for the 55s.

Thanks!

Tazman 10-30-2012 10:23 PM

2 x 750gph is what I have in my 55g saltwater tank but that might be too much for freshwater fish. Perhaps only 1.

I have 2 x Maxijet 1200's in my 75g cichlid tank and they love playing in the current, they both run in circulation mode and really help keeping debris (waste food/poop) suspended so it never falls to settle on the bottom.

Canadian Fish 10-30-2012 10:34 PM

Awesome, how low in the 75g tank do you put them Taz? The price difference is minimal so if the 1200 isn't too much for the 55s, that's what I'll use in all 3.

Do you put them at opposite ends of the tank? I was thinking of putting it on the side of my tank with the canister outlet, so it is pushing the water towards the other end of the tank where the inlet is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1293363)
2 x 750gph is what I have in my 55g saltwater tank but that might be too much for freshwater fish. Perhaps only 1.

I have 2 x Maxijet 1200's in my 75g cichlid tank and they love playing in the current, they both run in circulation mode and really help keeping debris (waste food/poop) suspended so it never falls to settle on the bottom.