Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   I'm a "newbie" to sand (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/im-newbie-sand-118386/)

Sqbear46 10-30-2012 02:47 PM

I'm a "newbie" to sand

With that said, is there any specific kind i should be getting? What about substrate?? I do plan on having live plants in the tank.

This is for my 46 bow front tank.

Thanks for the info!

Tazman 10-31-2012 06:51 AM

What fish are you intending on keeping in the tank? Some prefer a sand substrate, some prefer gravel.

Sqbear46 10-31-2012 03:30 PM

I'm not too sure as of yet. This is the biggest tank i've ever owned so i wanted something a bit different from what i have now.

What i have in my other tanks (20 and a 25 gal and a 5 gal nursery)

Blue Gourami 's
Clown loaches (these are going into the bigger tank)
Red Platy's
black skirts
Common plecos
Zebra danios
many baby red platy's

Tracy Bird 10-31-2012 10:18 PM

If you want Pool Filter sand find MYSTIC II by US Silica --- it is fantastic.

Pre-rinsing is not neccessary and there is never dust in my tank during cleaning.

Beautiful Bright White and a 50 pound bag cost $11.00.

If you can find it you will like it.

Stoke88 11-01-2012 02:37 PM

I'm a newbie to sand as well but was told by Byron that Quickcrete Playsand works just as well for about $4.95 per 50lb bag. Rinsing is required however.

Tracy Bird 11-01-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke88 (Post 1294884)
I'm a newbie to sand as well but was told by Byron that Quickcrete Playsand works just as well for about $4.95 per 50lb bag..

Okay - go for it!.... but make sure you thoroughly rinse.

Byron 11-01-2012 07:55 PM

Yes, it takes a lot of rinsing, but in the end it is worth it. This Quikrete playsand is a mix of black/white/tan/gray and closely resembles the sand in many Amazonian streams. I now have it in five of my seven tanks, soon to be in the sixth. And so inexpensive.

Byron.

AbbeysDad 11-02-2012 07:10 AM

I'll just add that I'm using regular (left over) pool filter sand purchased from Wallymart. It did require rinsing, but it is sandy brown colored and is working very well.
I feel that pool filter sand is better than many play sands due to the grain size. Many play sands are very fine and will pack while pool filter sand will allow for some greater circulation.

Note: I have no information, good or bad, about different brands of play sand. In fact, some may have grain sizes as large or larger than pool filter sand. Personally, I would steer clear of very fine sands (as they may pack and present long range challenges).

Sqbear46 11-03-2012 12:05 AM

How much will i need for a 46 bow front?
Also will live plants grow in the sand? Should i use substrate on top of the sand?

Thanks all,

AbbeysDad 11-03-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sqbear46 (Post 1296399)
How much will i need for a 46 bow front? Also will live plants grow in the sand? Should i use substrate on top of the sand?

Substrate is a term used for any material on the bottom of the tank sand or gravel.
The amount of sand you'll need is of course dependent on the depth. I'd guess you need about or at least 50 lbs.
Yes, plants grow very well in sand (think hydroponics).