Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Getting Tank mates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/getting-tank-mates-118379/)

XShido 10-30-2012 01:57 PM

Getting Tank mates

Hello,
well, i have a 120Gl tank, long time ago used for my RES, but gave it away to a breeder.

Now i have around 1/2 half years with fishes.

Lets count...
1 Cat/Pleco,
5 Fancy Goldfist whites and golds
1 Black moor Goldfish, also fancy tailed. white tips on fins, coolest dude in there.
5 2 tailed Goldfishes whites and golds

Im thinking, which tank mates i can get in there to add a little energy to my tank?
I had guppies, at first, they died, when the tails get big enough they are just slow so goldfishes overrun em. Same for platties. There was a Dwarf Gourami that lasted about a year but i think it got sick and died.

I was reading and i think i can get fresh water shrimps, dwarf shrimps, i would like those. Any idea on any Fish i can get in there?

I know plenty of cycle and filtration, also im using a Rena Xp3 now, i had a smaller tank which used to be with a XP2, and im looking forward a XP4 in the future. i use chem stars and bio filtration, and all sponges.

Here are video i made yesterday with my phone just after cleaning the tank.

thekoimaiden 10-30-2012 02:06 PM

You've got a pretty full tank there. The goldfish give a lot of activity to the tank as well as have a huge bioload. Biologically and spatially, your tank is full. Any fish or invert that you put in that tank large enough to fit in a goldfish's mouth will be eaten as they are opportunistic feeders. Removing the goldfish is the only way to safely add more fish to the tank.

XShido 10-30-2012 02:16 PM

i believe ill give 6 golds and the pleco back to the breeder.i got em from in exchange, hes the second bigget breeder in my country and a family friend so he will b ok exchanging and selling me others. Question is, what can i get in the tank once i have less golds and no pleco?
Posted via Mobile Device

XShido 10-30-2012 06:06 PM

so, any ideas?

thekoimaiden 10-30-2012 08:34 PM

Dojo loaches (sometimes called weather loaches) are good with goldfish. You might also try some of the larger minnows like fathead minnows (rosy reds). Really there aren't too many things that could go in the tank. Goldfish are very limiting in their tankmates. If you return them all, you'll have a much much wider pool of candidates to pull from.

XShido 10-30-2012 08:53 PM

how about a few kois? they are like cousins or something =p

like i said, im statying only with half the goldfishes, giving away the others and the pleco

thekoimaiden 10-30-2012 09:19 PM

That tank is too small for koi. They have the potential to get 30 inches long but normally grow between 15 and 20 inches long. They make good companions for single-tailed goldfish in ponds. They aren't a fish easily kept in tanks. But you're right to look in the carp family. Larger minnows would also work with goldfish.

XShido 10-30-2012 09:29 PM

How about barbs and angel fishes?

aemaki09 10-30-2012 11:45 PM

what size are the goldfish you have in there?

I have 2 in my tank with some rosy barbs and molly's but they are only 2-3" and I'm trying to re-home them before too long.

You need some pretty HARDY fish to go with them And the larger your existing goldfish are the harder its going to be to find tank mates.

If I were you i would trade them all in and start over, especially with the bioload they have! I would mine in a heartbeat if my kid didnt win them at the fair.

thekoimaiden 10-31-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XShido (Post 1293369)
How about barbs and angel fishes?

Both of these fish have a reputation for being fin-nippers. This isn't something you want with the long flowing fins of goldfish.