Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   The Angel fish that just won't die (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/angel-fish-just-wont-die-118281/)

Inga 10-29-2012 08:13 AM

The Angel fish that just won't die

I know strange topic but this fish IS strange. I love this fish, it is a beautiful HUGE bllack Angelfish. This fish has been acting strange for months. I have a bit of a bully in the tank. It only picks on this fish, but not to the point of hurting it, at least not from what I have seen. This fish will on occasion go back at the bully and the bully flees the scene in a panic. The Black Angel fish is peaceful other then defending itself from Bully fish.

What has been strange is as of the last week this fish will be almost laying on the bottom of the tank with it's face down and tail up. I went to scoop it 3 times thinking he passed away but then he starts swimming around normally. :shock: Now, I think he is sick of me trying to scoop so he swims a little inbetween and hangs out near the top. He isn't gasping for air, he isn't laying on it's side he just isn't normal.

The water parameters are good, all other fish are normal, I test my water with an API freshwater test kit. Always have used that kind. Water changes are large and frequent. Average is 65% every 4-5 days. I just don't get it. Up until yesterday, the fish has been eating normally too. I don't think he ate anything yesterday. I shut the lights off to reduce stress just in case but I do have floating Pennywort in there to darken it a bit for them anyway and many other live plants. Any thoughts?

Romad 10-29-2012 11:05 AM

What is the age of the fish? I just went through this with a serpae tetra that was approx. 5 years old and the last of the original school of 6.

Once it was clear that he had no quality of life left, I had to euthanize him. I also scooped him out of plants 2 or 3 times thinking he was gone only to have him get a spurt of energy and swim away.

Inga 10-29-2012 11:37 AM

I am thinking he is around 3-4 as he wasn't a tiny baby when I got him or any thing and have had him for awhiile. I don't want him to suffer either and if it seems there is no return from this, I too will euthanize. I just can't do it when he seems like he still has life in him. Right now, he is just hanging out with the others. I wish I KNEW for sure what was going on. He did this once before then bounced back completely, started eating again, swimming around and holding his own against the crabby bully fish. It was like he had a cold and got over it. Strange. I just don't want to rush him along as he is a favorite of mine.

Romad 10-29-2012 11:57 AM

Understandable. You'll know just by watching him if he's going to bounce back or not. Sounds like he has a great will to survive.

Don't you wish they could tell us what's going on? LOL.

Inga 10-29-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1290875)
Don't you wish they could tell us what's going on? LOL.

Absolutely! I have never been good at guessing their wants or needs.

Byron 10-29-2012 12:43 PM

I would have to observe the fish tank for a time to be certain, but it seems from what you've told us that the problem might be stress from the bully. As I noted in my article on stress, even when no physical confrontation occurs, the stress from pheromones can be significant. If I were being taunted day after day, I too would be lethargic and depressed. Just a thought.

Inga 10-29-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1290937)
I would have to observe the fish tank for a time to be certain, but it seems from what you've told us that the problem might be stress from the bully. As I noted in my article on stress, even when no physical confrontation occurs, the stress from pheromones can be significant. If I were being taunted day after day, I too would be lethargic and depressed. Just a thought.

I did have that thought as well but also think that something else started it and THEN the bully started in. The Black Angel in question has been the ruling fish of that tank for some time. He is the largest fish in there. I would be more then happy to remove the bully but... only if it would truly help the black guy.