Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Discus ?'s Need Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/discus-s-need-help-1181/)

koolman56 11-02-2006 10:48 PM

Discus ?'s Need Help!

I have recently(as in the past 1 month) found these beatiful fish. ;D Well ever since, i have decided that i will get discus. But, i still need to learn a lot and i have a few ?'s.
So to tell you a little bit about what my tank will have
-dont know the size but i do know it will be over 55 gallons.
-will be bare-bottommed
-will have potted plants
-will be syphoned whenever there is a lot of waste on the bottom
-will be changed 15% every other day and will be 35-50% changed every week.
-will have a lot of airation(cant spell xD) but will be on only in the night by using a timer
-will have a diy co2 system(s)
-will hold about 8 discus(a little over populated) per 50 gallons(willing to take the extra time to do more matience)
-will have discus and only discus in the tank
-tank will be kept at 85-86 degrees
-Will have one JUMBO sponge filter in it powered by a powerhead

Now my questions are...
-Should i do a 30 or a 50% water change weekly?
-What kind of mechanical filter should i use(trying to stay away from canisters and sumps)
-Should i also add some artificial plants to the tank so they will have places to hide?
-How often should i feed my discus(will have a variety of different strains and sizes)
-Do you have any tips on keeping discus?
-What are the main diseases except Hexamita that affect discus?
thanks,
taylor

Alexis 11-02-2006 10:58 PM

-Should i do a 30 or a 50% water change weekly?
50 or MORE. I do at least 80% weekly.

-What kind of mechanical filter should i use(trying to stay away from canisters and sumps) I use a HOB in addition to sponge filters...it realy doesn't matter.

-Should i also add some artificial plants to the tank so they will have places to hide?

I have driftwood, plants and some small rock formations...the theory is, the more places they have to hide, the more secure they feel in the open. It seems to work.

-How often should i feed my discus(will have a variety of different strains and sizes)
My breeder stresses AT LEAST twice a day and three if possible. Personally, I feed twice liberally per day, and then once a week, I feed only once.
The young ones (under a year) I feed as often as I think about it...up to 4 times a day, just not HUGE amounts like I feed the older ones.

-Do you have any tips on keeping discus?
Large water changes, then more large water changes.

-What are the main diseases except Hexamita that affect discus?
That one I do not know. I DO know that they start turning black in consistently bad water conditions, but I don't know if it has a name...

Hope this helps!
:D