Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   55gal w/Angels, GBR pr, Br Nose Pleco & ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/55gal-w-angels-gbr-google-page-118068/)

nickt30 10-26-2012 05:42 PM

55gal w/Angels, GBR pr, Br Nose Pleco & ?

80F, ph 6.8, moderate soft, planted w/driftwood
aquaclear 70 & 50

How Many Angels could i or should i get?
The GBR are already a pair.......from a friend, could i add a second pair?
Hoping for a Bris nose albino pleco.....i have a few other tank with these guys....they great but the temp matching with the angle & gbr is not the best but not sure of what other cleanup crew i could use.

What if any additional fish should be considered?

Corys? would like more of a clean up crew.....but again temp profile not a great match

Rainbow Bosemani? concern for overcrowding if i get more then 4......i am thinking these are out but i would really like to get them in one of my tanks eventually.

Some smaller shoaling fish? something that is calming but will not become angelfish food

Any Suggestions?

PS: Byron i did my best with the fish profiles.....and these are the questions i came up with.

Byron 10-27-2012 08:34 PM

If angels are your decision, they will fill the tank. A group of 5 would be fine. No room for rainbows, it should be either angels or rainbows; the latter might have difficulty with the water parms as noted in the profile. The ram pair is OK, but if they are a bonded pair, I would not suggest adding more.

With he warmth needed for the rams, other fish will have to be carefully chosen. Angels are OK at 80-82F, but many corys are not. Two that are and that come to mind are C. sterbai and C. leucomelas.

Shoaling fish will need to be fairly quiet, and obviously OK with the warmth. Check some of the Rosy clade in Hyphessobrycon. I know they work well with angels, but can't remember the temp range off hand. Linear small fish are out, as these will be seen as food, so the disk-shaped work in this respect. And obviously avoid any fin nippers, like the Serpae which is in this clade.

Byron.

nickt30 10-27-2012 09:37 PM

thanks Byron, great advice.
Yes, i am going for the angels.
The ram is a mated pair already.
It also sounds like the rainbows are out.

Any thoughts on adding a severum to the mix.....or due to final size of this creature it would be over crowding?

i do have a 29 gal ready if a pair of angels mates....then maybe room for a severum.....i have have been reading some nice things about this fish.

Byron 10-28-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickt30 (Post 1288970)
thanks Byron, great advice.
Yes, i am going for the angels.
The ram is a mated pair already.
It also sounds like the rainbows are out.

Any thoughts on adding a severum to the mix.....or due to final size of this creature it would be over crowding?

i do have a 29 gal ready if a pair of angels mates....then maybe room for a severum.....i have have been reading some nice things about this fish.

I would not add Severun. A 4-foot 75g tank with 4-5 angels and the other "dither" fish will be max. Remember, they will pair up and life gets tricky then.

Byron.

luke77 11-04-2012 05:39 PM

I have a mated pair of rams in my tank with angels n 6 cory's. I keep my temp at 78 and it seems to be a fair trade for all the fish.
Posted via Mobile Device