Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Dwarf Hairgrass Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/dwarf-hairgrass-help-117953/)

allengw12345 10-25-2012 10:19 AM

Dwarf Hairgrass Help!

I just recently bought hairgrass from the topfin gel package at my local petsmart. I tried my best to get rid of the gel and rip it into small clumps (but the roots were pretty interconnected and was scared to damage it). I planted it into my sand substrate which got kinda of difficult for the hairgrass to hold in. My lighting is a little low (1wpg) but I don't have too much money to get anything more. I heard that CO2 infusions would help but I am not sure which ones to get or if it would help at all. If I need to get higher lightning I am willing to but I don't want to fry my other plants/fish. I just planted it 2 or 3 days ago and doesn't look like it is growing that much. I trimmed it alittle, trying to promote growth. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Byron 10-25-2012 11:24 AM

This plant, Eleocharis parvula, is very slow growing and apparently can take weeks to get going, even under high-tech conditions. It is also said to be terrible for algae like brush, staghorn, hair. Good light and CO2 are usually suggested as preferable, along with a nutritious substrate (good liquid fert can provide this too).

allengw12345 10-25-2012 11:00 PM

What kinda of fert or liquid CO2 do you recommend? Also is the yeast and sugar is a good method to get sufficient CO2 for the plant.

Byron 10-26-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allengw12345 (Post 1287158)
What kinda of fert or liquid CO2 do you recommend? Also is the yeast and sugar is a good method to get sufficient CO2 for the plant.

On the basic fertilizer, I recommend either Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement or Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Make sure you get the specific product named, as both manufacturers make several products in these lines. Either will provide a complete balance of essential nutrients except for carbon.

On the CO2 (carbon) I do not recommend liquid supplements like Excel. These contain glutaraldehyde which is used in hospitals to sterilize medical instruments, in embalming, in antifreeze--you get the idea. Some plants will melt with Excel. And if overdosed it can be dangerous as it will kill bacteria and fish.

I don't bother with diffused CO2, so I will leave that for other members who have experience. I find there is plenty of natural CO2 in the average aquarium using the natural or low-tech method.

Byron.

redchigh 10-31-2012 12:16 AM

what lighting do you actually have, and how big is the tank? (wpg is utterly useless).
I don't use co2, but hairgrass is tricky. I (and Byron too, I do believe) focus primarily on the fish. I don't see the point in paying that much for something that could, at worst, kill the fish and at best be unneccesary. If you'd like to grow hairgrass, you probably will need more light, or just put the tank where it will get diffused light from a window.
Posted via Mobile Device

makoy1995 11-05-2012 05:48 AM

here are some of my experience hope it could help.:-)

1. the size of your aquarium is important if you are planning to add co2 via yeast method. yeast method produces co2 at 2 bps max, if you are using the common yeast to sugar ratio, with 2-3 bottles of reactor running. if your tank is 10 gallons or smaller, then your co2 is fairly high level, but as the size of the tank increases the co2 level goes inversely.

2. there are different kinds of hair grass. you need to ask your supplier which hairgrass you got. the easiest hairgrass is E. acicularis or dwarf hairgrass. this is one tough guy. in my previous set-up, which was infested by BGA, all my plants except dhg were not growing. some hairgrass as byron said are more difficult. but you need to observe your plants for a while, it probably is adjusting.

3. someone said that good flow,rich nutrient(macro and co2) are more essential than high light. so you don't have to worry much. as redchigh pointed out you can place your tank in place where it gets direct sunlight but you can't expose your tank to sunlight for long period of time. long sunlight exposure raises your tank temperature and may also cause imbalance, which may lead to algae breakout.( my tank receives direct sunlight for more or less an hour and my plants are doing well, i.e., my hygrophila polysperma green's tips are turning red, my crypts are flaming and my pearlweed sprouts new shoots 3 days after trimming.

4. lastly, you don't need much of an equipment in raising hairgrass and aquatic plants. all you need is luck and patience. i saw an all hairgrass set-up (~ 2.5 gallons) without co2, under direct sunlight that is thriving and even daphnias are living there. i just don't know if it is still running.
good luck and HPK :-D