Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   What should I do to help my poor molly? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/what-should-i-do-help-my-117896/)

mandi85710 10-24-2012 05:08 PM

What should I do to help my poor molly?

4 Attachment(s)
My 2 month old Molly has had her tail either eaten off or ripped off by getting it stuck under an ornament or something because I have no fish with teeth in her tank so not too sure. Anyhow I am trying to figure out how to treat her? Her tail is gone and there is a stub there with little shreds of skin. I have never had an injured fish like this in all of my years so I am not sure if I should get some antibiotics for her or what I should do?

She is swimming around and eating like nothing is wrong with her at all so I know she is ok as far as that goes because I was worried she was suffering horribly so was worried I would have to euthanize her. But she is acting like nothing is wrong with her. She can still swim around and doesn't seem to show any of the signs that show she is in distress.

So really my question is what antibiotic should I get for her if any? Should I just let it go or should I get and treat her with an antibiotic so she doesn't get an infection and to be on the safe side. I don't want to give her meds if I don't have to b/c she is a baby still at only 2 months old. I will attach some pictures so you can see what it looks like and hopefully give me an idea on which is the best way to go with this. Thanks in advance for any help I really appreciate it!!! :-)

Andarial 10-24-2012 05:55 PM

Are there any other fish with her? if so what kinds? That way we can know what medicines are ok with your fish.

mandi85710 10-25-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 1285564)
Are there any other fish with her? if so what kinds? That way we can know what medicines are ok with your fish.

Sorry I was flustered and completely forgot to add that. She has other molly's, platy's and guppies in with her. I will put her in a 10G nurse tank though to treat her because I do not want to treat all of the fish in my tank because they don't need the meds. But again sorry about not putting that in there just was in shock and flustered from not knowing what to do with never having an injured fish like this before in all my years of having fish. :-)

Andarial 10-26-2012 10:28 PM

Well since she is alone and a molly and can handle salt, you can treat her with aquarium salt. I am not super experienced with it as most of my fish can't handle it, but I do know that it's supposed to speed the healing process of fish and keep bacterial infections at bay. It doesn't cost much, all I really know about using the salt is to mix it in a separate container and let it sit for a while, it can burn a fish if put directly in the water. Read the instructions carefully, overdosing is kind of hard to do I think with aquarium salt but I wouldn't recommend more than it says to with her if she isn't already sick, if it's just for healing purposes than a little should work just fine ^^

DragonFyre14 10-27-2012 12:52 PM

I would definitely go with aquarium salt. I've used it when my guppies got ich and it cured that really quickly. It also actually pretty good for them. All your other fish should be just fine with the aquarium salt, so you could just add some to that tank. But if you want to use a higher concentration (which I believe is usually more effective just can't be used long term.) then do separate her. I would also suggest using some stress coat as well. I like to use API stress coat. Other than that... You kind just have to give it time and make sure the other fish aren't bugging him.