Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Upgrading advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/upgrading-advice-117869/)

CelsB 10-24-2012 06:20 AM

Upgrading advice

Tomorrow I will be the proud new owner of a Juwel Rio 125 litre tank. I'm so excited.

At the moment I have two tanks on the go - a 60 litre and a 35 litre. Both are mature, fully cycled tanks. Working on the assumption that the filters on both tanks are capable of handling each tank's bioload, do you think it will be okay to transfer all the fish in one go?
I plan to transfer the filter media from the 60 litre tank into the new filter and also transfer the Aqua 101F filter that runs 35 litre tank? I will run them side by side for a while. I also have another smaller filter which is seeded as I have two filters in each tank. I could put that in also.
I will also be transferring the decor from the other tanks, but not the substrate. I have new washed and ready.
I know I may have a small cycle to cope with, but am happy to do regular water tests and changes until the new tank stabilises.

What do you think?

1077 10-24-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelsB (Post 1285143)
Tomorrow I will be the proud new owner of a Juwel Rio 125 litre tank. I'm so excited.

At the moment I have two tanks on the go - a 60 litre and a 35 litre. Both are mature, fully cycled tanks. Working on the assumption that the filters on both tanks are capable of handling each tank's bioload, do you think it will be okay to transfer all the fish in one go?
I plan to transfer the filter media from the 60 litre tank into the new filter and also transfer the Aqua 101F filter that runs 35 litre tank? I will run them side by side for a while. I also have another smaller filter which is seeded as I have two filters in each tank. I could put that in also.
I will also be transferring the decor from the other tanks, but not the substrate. I have new washed and ready.
I know I may have a small cycle to cope with, but am happy to do regular water tests and changes until the new tank stabilises.

What do you think?

Will work fine,and is what I would do.
Just be sure all fishes share similar water chemistry need's and get along as a group.
The more seed material from other tank's ,the better.;-)

CelsB 10-24-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1285163)
Will work fine,and is what I would do.
Just be sure all fishes share similar water chemistry need's and get along as a group.
The more seed material from other tank's ,the better.;-)

Thank you for that. I was in two minds about transferring the fish from the 60 litre first and waiting a week or so before transferring the fish from the 35 litre. The trouble with that is that the fish are only in a 35 litre because their last tank (another 60 litre) developed a leak. It is too small for them really.