Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Live streaming Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/live-streaming-aquarium-117852/)

Canadian Fish 10-23-2012 10:59 PM

Live streaming Aquarium

My wife wants a computer in the basement so she can skype her mom from her smoking room. It's where the 220 is so I thought I could live stream the aquarium the rest of the time.

Does anyone know any good live stream hosting sites? Preferably free or cheap.

Has anyone here done it before? I'm wondering how complicated it will be to set up.

Tazman 10-24-2012 08:03 AM

How to Set Up a Streaming Webcam | Tech Tips - Salon.com

Just to point out you will NOT be able to stream live on here without permission from the admin to do so.

Canadian Fish 10-24-2012 08:11 AM

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Can I post a link in my signature that takes you to where ever I stream from? Or do I need permission for that too?

I tried UStream last night and got it working no prob, just trying it with my laptop and built in webcam.

Who is the admin I have to ask? Maybe they have a preferred hosting site I should use.

Hey Taz, I see you have an empty 220, awesome! Is that new, or have you had it all along?

Tazman 10-24-2012 08:33 AM

You can pm the admin here but yes you would need permission I believe to put it in your signature..

The 220g is new, picked it up last weekend, going to be a long slow build process to get her up and running as a saltwater tank.

Will be detailing it in here once I start which will likely be in December or even new year, have a lot of work to do to reinforce the floor first which when I start will also detail in a build thread.

Canadian Fish 10-24-2012 08:36 AM

Awesome!! Did you find it used or new? Have you got a stand?

Good luck reinforcing the floor! I just put ours on the concrete floor in the basement!

Excited for you! What are the dimensions of the tank? Mine is 72x24x30

twocents 10-24-2012 02:57 PM

you already have found ustreams, that is a good site.
camstreams.com is another, but takes a little more setup.
I think you need an encoder for both.

Canadian Fish 10-24-2012 03:13 PM

I'm streaming at ustream right now. I literally just opened the browser window in my laptop and pressed "Start Broadcasting"

I don't think I can provide a link, but if you go to the ustream site and search for dctatts, it's the only one that comes up.

Eventually we're going to put a computer down there and I hope to stream whenever the tank light is on. Right now it's streaming via laptop with built in camera. It'll be streaming until 9 or 10pm EST tonight. When I go to bed I have to bring the laptop back up to the bedroom and hook it up to the TV where it belongs.

Looks pretty good though, the tank is in the basement and I'm upstairs in the living room and I'm watching it on my monitor right now. I'm sure it will look even better with a standalone HD webcam, as opposed to the crappy one built in to the laptop.

Also, ustream says you can download free software to improve quality, as opposed to just using the browser setup like I am. I'll look into that once I have a permanent computer down there.

pop 10-24-2012 03:48 PM

I think you can just setup a web server XP professional Internet Information Service (IIS). Look on systems disk for it. Run the stream through RSS. If you can’t find IIS down load tomcat it should be free. You should not need to purchase a domain stream on the dark side of the web…
pop

Canadian Fish 11-20-2012 08:41 AM

Streaming the 220 live for the next 11.5 hours, until the tank lights go out:

dctatts on USTREAM: 220 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium. Fish

Still using my laptop, so it is just for the day, until 9 PM EST.

I'm hoping when I finally get a tower in the basement (I would have bought a refurb, but my friend insists he has one for me) I can get a better angle, and I assume the webcam I buy will have better resolution than the one built into my webcam.

Canadian Fish 11-21-2012 12:05 PM

Ok, so we put a computer downstairs, we'll be streaming everyday when the lights are on in the tank, which is approximately 9 am to 9 pm.

dctatts on USTREAM: 220 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium. Fish

I made a webcam stand out of a high hat.

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/5378/p1070350s.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5017/p1070351z.jpg

My camera no longer takes pictures in the basement. Even though there's a window and all the lights are on. It's actually not dark at all when these pics were taken.

I'll try various angles and distances from the tank to see what looks best. I like where it is now, but you can't see the right hand corner, which is where a lot of the fish hang out.