Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   getting frustrated with this water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/getting-frustrated-water-117824/)

racerx 10-23-2012 06:06 PM

getting frustrated with this water

Ok I'm at week 6 now,and still pulling my hair out over this water cycle.
I have a 36 gal bow front tank with a Marineland 150 bio-wheel,Jebao Bioforce 818 canister filter,and a hydro sponge filter with good amounts of air/water circulation.
Temp-79.3 degrees
Ph-7.4
Ammonia-4.0
Nitrite-5.0
Nitrate-5.0
Water is crystal clear and fish are acting normal (no erratic behavior)
mollies-2
cory cats-2
tetras-3
Zebras-2
all fish are tiny (1-2 inches)
I cant seem to get my water chemestry to balance out. I do a 10 gal water change every 2 days and treat the new water with conditioner plus Bio-Boost.
Also getting water from faucet with Pur water filter to make extra certain no chlorine
I'm at a loss. I had multiple tanks years ago,and never had these kind of problems.
I tried to give as much information as I thought you would ask,even stopped using aquarium salt so I could eventually add live plants.
Person at LFS said changing water too much and I should go a whole month without a water change to see if it stabilized. (Huh??)
Dosen't sound cool to me,so I'm coming to the experts here to save whats left of my hair.
Thanks

willow 10-23-2012 06:48 PM

hi there
well hopefully someone will move this to the aquarium section for you,so you'll
hopefully get more replies:-D
i seem to remember when i started my water cycle took about six weeks too,
have you any live plants in there,they would help.

racerx 10-23-2012 06:51 PM

It took me forever just to figure out how to post,let alone where it goes.

willow 10-24-2012 03:55 AM

aww don't worry,you'll pick it up in no time honest. :-D

1077 10-24-2012 09:09 AM

I would want second opinion on test result's.
Preferrably result's from test kit that uses liquid regent's such as API freshwater master kit.
If the ammonia level's and nitrite level's were truly as reported,,the fish would be dead.
Would use water conditioner such as PRIME and tapwater rather than water from purifier that often replaces mineral's (calcium magnesium) which fish need ,,with sodium salt's which fishes don't need or do well in over the long haul.
Might also try and find some floating plant's such as Pennywort,Water sprite.
The plant's will help remove ammonia/nitrites.
No harm can come from water changes especially with fish in the tank, so long as water chemisrty is consistent which regular water changes provide,,and the temp is not too much different than that in the tank.IMHO