Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/)
-   -   flame angel (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/flame-angel-117803/)

evanlundberg4 10-23-2012 12:00 PM

flame angel

So my newest fish, a flame angel, is starting to act weird. He's been rubbing on things periodically, a little darty and shakes his head from time to time. I have not been able to see any spots or anything on his body, however I believe this behavior is abnormal. Also I'm not sure but it seems like there's some patches on his tail and pectoral fins. I haven't observed any rapid breathing and he is eating pellets and brine shrimp. To me it seems he could very well have either ich or velvet. I'm considering a freshwater dip and hyposalinity as treatment because I have read angels are sensitive to copper. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-23-2012 12:42 PM

Your ideas are sound. I'd guess ICH, and Hypo is relatively easy to do.

evanlundberg4 10-23-2012 12:49 PM

I have been trying to be hands off because I don't want extra stress but there's just no way around it. He has something. Anyway, fresh dip, use baking soda to raise pH, match temp to tank water and then plop him right back in the tank or should I rinse him after the dip in salt water first? There's like 1500 different ways people do these things. I am hoping its just ich. I know the symptoms are similar. Specific gravity goes down to 1.009-1.010 for hypo over the course of a few hours?
Posted via Mobile Device

evanlundberg4 10-23-2012 12:58 PM

Also how long should I let salt water age before its safe for fish. I mixed up fresh new salt water to go in my qt tank. I figured it would be a good way to get as many free swimming parasites out as possible. Been mixed for a few hours now.
Posted via Mobile Device

evanlundberg4 10-23-2012 02:30 PM

So I just wanted to re introduce myself as that idiot new aquarist that ignores everyone's advice and puts new fish into his dt. Had to take my rocks all apart to get him and then he got tangled in the. Lesson learned the hard way. In the qt now and he ate a piece of shrimp just minutes after I put him in there so at least he's still somewhat ok. Dip and hypo are going to have to wait a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-23-2012 02:54 PM

Welp, if you were planning on a FW dip, I wouldn't have put him tinot Hypo also. The dip would kill the parasite. And I also would have left him alone for awhile. See what happens, if he continued to eat he would have been fine.

evanlundberg4 10-23-2012 03:01 PM

Well I matched my quarantine tank to my display tank so aside from the catching and new environment everything is the same. So at this point you are saying it would be better to just leave him alone as long as he's eating?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-23-2012 03:04 PM

That's just my opinion, yes. The fish is capable of beating this himself. My Hippo Tang has had a few bouts of ICH, and I've never messed with him.

evanlundberg4 10-23-2012 03:07 PM

I see...my thought was preventing any more exposure to my other fish although most likely its too late with him having been in there three days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-23-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanlundberg4 (Post 1284435)
I see...my thought was preventing any more exposure to my other fish although most likely its too late with him having been in there three days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup, they are already exposed.