Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants with Salt Ich Treatment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-salt-ich-treatment-11778/)

Jasey 02-11-2008 05:32 PM

Plants with Salt Ich Treatment

The 5 black skirt tetras in my new 55 gallon have come down with ich. I have 5 live plants in the tank (2 anachris, 1 java fern, 1 frilly plant, 1 red ludwigia).

Will the plants survive if I put salt in the tank for ich treatment, and raise the temperature? I will have to add 11 tbsp of aquarium salt (1 tbsp/5 gallons), plus raise the temperature to 80-82 degrees.

Lighting: 2 24" fluorescent 18 Watt, color 3500
Substrate: pea gravel, covered in sand
Water parameters: pH (7.4), ammonia (0.2), nitrite (0), nitrate (0)
Tank has been set up and cycling for 1 week

Picklee 02-11-2008 06:32 PM

Jasey,

I would not recommend treating your fish for Ich in that tank. Instead you would be better off removing the five black skirts to another tank and giving them a proper dosage of malachite green. This will ensure that you do not kill your plants and that your skirts get the best treatment.

If you insist, your salt content in the tank should never be higher than 2 ppm. Further still, this concentration in not effective against protozoans. Typically you need a concentration of somewhere between 7 and 13 ppm. In fact, to effectively kill Ichthyophthirius with salt, you need to add about 1 1/2 cups of salt per 10 gallons.

Too deadly.

Just move them to another tank and treat them there.

Jasey 02-12-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Picklee
Jasey,

I would not recommend treating your fish for Ich in that tank. Instead you would be better off removing the five black skirts to another tank and giving them a proper dosage of malachite green. This will ensure that you do not kill your plants and that your skirts get the best treatment.

If you insist, your salt content in the tank should never be higher than 2 ppm. Further still, this concentration in not effective against protozoans. Typically you need a concentration of somewhere between 7 and 13 ppm. In fact, to effectively kill Ichthyophthirius with salt, you need to add about 1 1/2 cups of salt per 10 gallons.

Too deadly.

Just move them to another tank and treat them there.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and moved them to my 10 gallon and I am treating them there for ich.

fish_4_all 02-13-2008 12:00 PM

The plants you listed would not likely do well with a salt treatment anyway except formaybe the java fern.

FWIW, when I dosed salt regularly in my tank, the recommended doseage in the box, I never had ich. If I remember right, the salt is not used to kill the ich on the fish but is used to kill the other stages of the ich bug.

The mnost common treatement with salt is to increase the temperature at the same time. This hastens the life cycle. The faster they grow the faster the salt can kill the more secceptible stages of ich. I do know those that have had great success with the temperature increase, 86-88F, and the salt treatment and I have known those who had no luck with it at all.

For me, as long as I don't decide to keep snails agains again, it will either Malachite green or Copper safe if I get ich again.