Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Mystery Killer, need a CSI team (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/mystery-killer-need-csi-team-117726/)

Fishoutofwater 10-22-2012 12:18 PM

Mystery Killer, need a CSI team

Greetings, I have an established 29g tank. It has been established for several months and recently my Zebra Danios keep getting picked off 1 by 1 with all other fish seemingly fine. They have been mysteriously dying about 1-2 weeks from each other 1 at a time. They show no signs or symptoms prior and they all go to the same spot in the tank (at the bottom behind the big bridge decor near the intake)and just hover there the entire time without eating until I find them in the intake. There are no signs of fin rot, ich, or pretty much anything else, and like I said all the other fish are swimming around happily. The tank is not over stocked as there are 12 fish equal in size to the danios in this tank. Perhaps they are just dying of old age? The Danios were the first fish in my tank almost 10 months ago. I have 7 live plants in it and was wondering if maybe oxygen and CO2 might be a culprit?

ashokantony 10-22-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishoutofwater (Post 1283052)
Greetings, I have an established 29g tank. It has been established for several months and recently my Zebra Danios keep getting picked off 1 by 1 with all other fish seemingly fine. They have been mysteriously dying about 1-2 weeks from each other 1 at a time. They show no signs or symptoms prior and they all go to the same spot in the tank (at the bottom behind the big bridge decor near the intake)and just hover there the entire time without eating until I find them in the intake. There are no signs of fin rot, ich, or pretty much anything else, and like I said all the other fish are swimming around happily. The tank is not over stocked as there are 12 fish equal in size to the danios in this tank. Perhaps they are just dying of old age? The Danios were the first fish in my tank almost 10 months ago. I have 7 live plants in it and was wondering if maybe oxygen and CO2 might be a culprit?

I think Zebra's can live 4 to 5 yrs. If your fish were already 3 or 4 yrs old when you get them, then old age could be a reason.

What are the water parameters? And these Danios are the only fish in the tank? No other inhibitants?

Fishoutofwater 10-22-2012 02:44 PM

Water parameters are spot on. There are currently:
4 Zebras
4 Kerri Blues
2 Odessa Bards
1 Male Betta
1 Snail that randomly appeared

Fishoutofwater 10-22-2012 11:42 PM

Update: I did a 15% WC and rinsed the foam pad in the Aquaclear and he came out from being at the bottom and is now just hovering in the same spot about half way from the top and still won't eat...

djembekah 10-23-2012 11:54 AM

my zebra danios die mysteriously too, but never in the same spot or anything. Actually I've had like 3 just disappear. I'm guessing I just had a couple of bad batches. I'm sure that zebra danios are practically as bad as neon tetras in the genetic department.