Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Geez, how long until baby guppies come along? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/geez-how-long-until-baby-guppies-117639/)

Granberry 10-21-2012 04:19 PM

Geez, how long until baby guppies come along?

2 Attachment(s)
I feel like these 5 females cannot possibly go another moment without giving me a tank full of fry! They are new, i.e., I bought them a week ago, so I don't know anything about dates, etc.

Any clue if it will be days or weeks?

fish monger 10-21-2012 05:29 PM

Wow, they are big ! When they start to get that squared off look, they could give birth at any time.

DragonFyre14 10-29-2012 10:07 PM

They are pretty big... I'd expect some soon (if you haven't already gotten some :P) those are some really pretty females though. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

RackinRocky 11-29-2012 03:20 PM

OMG, those females are gorgeous! Its not often I see females that colorful. Just wanted to compliment you on them.

Granberry 11-29-2012 06:01 PM

Thank you! They are the happiest little crew! It seemed like it took forever, but I now have a nice growing-out tank for their little ones. I can't wait to see what they look like!

cpwebsite 12-10-2012 01:14 PM

Be careful, you could easily get 100 fry, which is something that you may not have space for. They may also eat their own babies, and its hard to move all the fry, so I would recommend moving the adults to another tank and leave the fry their rather than the other way around. Good luck!

Granberry 12-10-2012 02:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My LFS says as long as they have a fry tank set up (they don't always), they will take mine. The guppies in the photo are in my 29-gallon tank, and I'll try to attach a picture of how most of their offspring turned out. I was underwhelmed, will admit. But I am having fun with a new 55-gallon tank I have set up in which I have some swordtails, neons, and about 10 "panda guppies". They are really cute. The females in the photo have already changed; they don't look as cute as the males, but are getting prettier.

RackinRocky 12-14-2012 12:38 PM

Do you think they'll color up more? Or stay the same? I still think they're attractive

Granberry 12-14-2012 12:59 PM

The little guppies with the yellow tails or the female pandas? I don't think the female pandas will change much, but they are already giving me some very zippy fry, and I am anxious to see how they turn out. They seem to have a different personality than the others even. So cute! But the regular guppies? I don't know. They're still quite young, so maybe so, but I don't know. The male I had in there was a yellow "cobra" guppy, and I don't know if that is where the yellow comes from or if it was some father before I had them. But they're strong and healthy and have had a good variety of premium food, so I'm sure the fish store will find them a good home.

stetez 12-16-2012 08:21 PM

judging by the size of that guppie i bet you got alot of fry lol