Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   marine filtration (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/marine-filtration-117603/)

Joe1985 10-21-2012 04:33 AM

marine filtration

hey i want to ask something as im thinking of starting up a marine set up, what is the favored way of filtration for a marine tank? UGF? canister filter? sump?

Reefing Madness 10-21-2012 10:21 AM

Live Rock is a Marines Filtration. If your talking about scrubbing the water, then a Sump with Macro Algae is hands down the best. Algae Turf Scrubber would come in second.

evanlundberg4 10-21-2012 04:43 PM

Live rock and a protein skimmer is a pretty good set up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe1985 10-22-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1281796)
Live Rock is a Marines Filtration. If your talking about scrubbing the water, then a Sump with Macro Algae is hands down the best. Algae Turf Scrubber would come in second.

turf scrubber?? so a sump would be preferred right? but if i was to have live coral that would do most of the work for me hey is that what ur saying?

Reefing Madness 10-22-2012 09:26 AM

If you use a Sump, and add a Algae Turf Scrubber to it, your water would be perfect. And of course a Skimmer. Your all set.

Joe1985 10-22-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1282913)
If you use a Sump, and add a Algae Turf Scrubber to it, your water would be perfect. And of course a Skimmer. Your all set.

oh i get what your saying mate, fair enough, but things are a bit up n down at the moment realising how much this marine set up will cost me might buy a cheap 4 footer n get some cichlids

Reefing Madness 10-22-2012 11:47 PM

LOL. The cost ususally does freak most of em out of it. Its just the initial set up that costs a bunch.

Joe1985 11-24-2012 10:08 PM

ok ive bought a relatively 'cheap' 4 ft tank with cupboard stand and light, will be moving ahead with the marine set up but not straight away will be doing loads of research, what would you or anyone that can read this my first course of action? i want a good quality light (dont know what to look for though but will research as i said) i have a canister filter i will be using also.

Reefing Madness 11-24-2012 10:50 PM

T-5 HO light would be the cheapests good light to start with. LED or Halides would be best, but cost a bit more.
First course of action would be to get Dry Rock or Base Rock from your LFS. Its not necessary to run a substrate, some go Bare Bottom.

Joe1985 11-25-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1324766)
T-5 HO light would be the cheapests good light to start with. LED or Halides would be best, but cost a bit more.
First course of action would be to get Dry Rock or Base Rock from your LFS. Its not necessary to run a substrate, some go Bare Bottom.

Awesome, would you recommend any brands that are good for LED or halides in your opinion? if it costs a bit more to purchase them and in turn saves me money in electricity in the long run id rather save for a decent light, so your saying the initial cost is a bit but over extended time doesnt cost much correct?
Im letting it sit till most likely over christmas so ill have some time in deciding things,
dry rock/ base rock? is that live rock? or do u mean the crushed coral substrate?