Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   New guppy fry... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/new-guppy-fry-117597/)

DragonFyre14 10-21-2012 12:59 AM

New guppy fry...

So, yesterday one of my females gave birth to a couple fry. (Only saw and was able to save one.) Now entirely sure which it was since they all still look fairly pregnant. So I'm still expecting a few more here in a couple of days.

About 3 weeks ago I was also able to save one from one small drop. He's now a decent size. He's colored up an I can see hi genopodium so I know it's a boy. (Unless somehow it's a female and she just likes to keep her anal fin clamped to her body but its unlikely) he looks exactly like his momma. Not really sure if its just a coincidence or if I should expect this (the dad is a lyretail guppy)
I'm actually pretty happy about this. But it was a bit of an inconvenience. So I eventually caught the fry (it decided to hide in the gravel...) an popped him into my breeder net that I have the 3-4 week old in.
However, apparently the 3-4 week old is just big enough that he kept trying to eat the baby. So, I decide he should be big enough to go in with the adults (he's only a little smaller than my smallest male, and doesn't look quite small enough to go in the adults mouth.)
Now, he was only in there for about a minute, and all the adults (especially his mom) started to try and eat him. So, I took him out, placed him in an empty betta store container so I can figure out what to do with him. I just gave my 2.5 gallon to my Betta, Raphael, so I couldn't put him there. Luckily, I happened to have a breeding trap that I don't use because the newborn fry kept slipping out the sides.

Just thought I'd update all of you on my continue fry adventures. :) would post pictures if the 3-4 week old but he won't sit still long enough. :P
Posted via Mobile Device

Captain Jim Dandy 10-21-2012 03:41 AM

It's a strange how nice it is to get newborns- I have red and green guppies that I feed "First Bites" and a fry food from "NLS". Keep your water fresh and clean, feed small portions many times a day. They shouldn't be exposed to larger fish at all unless you are willing to gamble on losing them, in my opinion. Many will disagree with that- I've seen breeders with hundreds of fry swimming with adults- I don't know how they acheive this.

DragonFyre14 10-21-2012 10:36 AM

Yeah I'm not sure. The newborn has yet to try and eat the food I've put in there (I do use Hikari first bites for the first couple of days, then I feed finely crushed flakes.) Probably because he most likely still has the egg sac. I've seen videos of people having a ton of different sized fry in the same tank and they all seem to be playing together fine. maybe they do loose some fry?

Captain Jim Dandy 10-21-2012 11:14 AM

Unless they have strains that are much more civilized than mine..some have to "disappear". I ran into that a month ago when some two month olds were beating a couple two week olds pretty badly(what reason?) So I started up a separate tank. With a two gallon bowl with an airstone can work in emergency. Airstone allows for less problem stagnant surface and feeding, I find. I have red, blue, black, and greens..I like 'em.

DragonFyre14 10-22-2012 11:35 AM

Hopefully this won't be a continual thing for me. I guess even better, hopefully some of the drops are much closer together so there isn't such a big size difference.

Captain Jim Dandy 10-22-2012 12:00 PM

They can drive you crazy..I have several that trick me .. I work nights when most of my births seem to happen, so I'll put them in a net breeder so the newborns have a better chance, and many of them simply end the birthing or eat everything while I'm gone. I have 7-8 fry that a few are black, a few are blue,and a couple green. The rest are either still in mom or they have driven me crazy.I have two young blacks that look like they could go this week and I'm afraid to touch them.I have a 20 gallon long cycling now- they will probably trick me and go tonite while I'm at work. My best girls were reds,,they are both sick-I'm trying to find Junge Parasite Clear now. Hope I'm not too late.:roll:

DragonFyre14 10-23-2012 07:20 AM

Yeah. Mine always drop while I'm either at school, or while I'm sleeping. :P but yeah one of my females just go over ich. So I totally know where your coming from. (Amazingly the fry was perfectly fine. I would have thought it would hit them harder than the adults. but I guess it's good that it didn't.)