Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fresh Start- 35 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fresh-start-35-gallon-117589/)

TehOtter 10-20-2012 10:10 PM

Fresh Start- 35 gallon

Hello there,

I currently have a 35 gallon tank with 4 Mystery Snails in it. Previously I had a P. Senegalus and a female Betta in the 35, and before the Betta I had a Cichlid with the Senegalus and a Spotted Hi-Fin Pleco. The Pleco, Senegalus and Cichlid were all in a 10 gallon. I realize this is horrible, it was my first aquarium and they were so tiny, and I was prone to impulse buying. Although, I realize those are poor excuses. I have since then re-homed the fish to more experienced care-takers with larger tanks. I have learned from this and would like to get information from people like you who have the experience that I lack. So, as I have stated before here's what I currently have:

35 Gallon tank:
5 live plants
4 Mystery Snails
Sand substrate

I am looking to stock my tank the smart way now. I would like a loach to be a part of the new tank because it reminds me of Tanis, the P. Senegalus, but has a much smaller tank requirement. What are some other fish that would be a good choice for this tank?

squishylittlefishies 10-20-2012 10:34 PM

what kind of loaches are you interested in? most loaches would eagerly eat up your snails, but you could put in like 4 khuli loaches and that would be fine. you could also add 1 honey gourami, a school of neon tetras, and some shrimp.
I don't know if you like that combonation of fish, but that's my suggestion!

TehOtter 10-20-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies (Post 1281445)
what kind of loaches are you interested in? most loaches would eagerly eat up your snails, but you could put in like 4 khuli loaches and that would be fine. you could also add 1 honey gourami, a school of neon tetras, and some shrimp.
I don't know if you like that combonation of fish, but that's my suggestion!

Thanks Squishy :) The Black Kuhli Loach is what I was looking at! Do you know if the Gouramis have to be with members of their same sex? About how many should be included in a school?

Byron 10-21-2012 01:11 PM

The kuhli loach is fine, i would add another for five, they fare better in groups. Lots of wood on the sand, they love to hide and will be more relaxed with lots of hiding places.

There are a couple of other loaches that would suit this tank, the Dwarf Loach and Banded Dwarf Loach. I have both and they are not too bad on snails, but with a larger one like the Mystery they might eat it more easily.

Honey Gourami are fairly peaceful, and a small group of 5 would be nice in your tank. Check our profile, click the shaded name.

The medium sized rasbora make good tankmates with the above (gourami and loaches). Lots of floating plants, for shade for all of these, plus feeding sites for the gourami.

Some of the quieter tetra can work, but be careful; all characins have lots of teeth and like using them. With sedate fish like gourami, fin nipping might occur, even from some otherwise peaceful species.

Byron.

TehOtter 10-22-2012 09:06 PM

Thank you Byron!

So far I have decided on 5 black kuhli loaches. I have a couple pieces of driftwood in the tank, one large one, one medium one, and one small one. What kind of plants would be good for the loaches? I like the Gouramis, but I am nervous as to what they would do to the Mystery Snails' antennas. I was thinking of Fancy male guppies. Do you think they would be a problem with the snails and the loaches? I know guppies multiply very fast if there are breeding couples in the tank. I'm going to avoid getting a female the best I can. If there were any accidental fry, would the loaches eat them? Again, thank you for your time.

Byron 10-23-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehOtter (Post 1283740)
Thank you Byron!

So far I have decided on 5 black kuhli loaches. I have a couple pieces of driftwood in the tank, one large one, one medium one, and one small one. What kind of plants would be good for the loaches? I like the Gouramis, but I am nervous as to what they would do to the Mystery Snails' antennas. I was thinking of Fancy male guppies. Do you think they would be a problem with the snails and the loaches? I know guppies multiply very fast if there are breeding couples in the tank. I'm going to avoid getting a female the best I can. If there were any accidental fry, would the loaches eat them? Again, thank you for your time.

Can't help on the gourami/snail question as I've no personal experience, but would suspect most fish might impact here. On guppy fry, the kuhli loach would have no impact I can imagine. No mention of water parameters, soft/hard.

Tigris 10-23-2012 11:46 AM

I have a gold and opaline gourami in a tank with snails, specifically a mystery snail, and they leave him alone. My snail has lived with them, honey gouramis, and even a betta and none have messed with them. They also live with MTS and pond snails and they are never harmed. So they'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device

TehOtter 10-26-2012 03:12 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I've decided on 5 Kuhli Loaches and 4-5 Long-Finned Leopard Danios. I was also thinking about including the Guppies in this set-up as well. Then that would be about it for the tank, I'm worried I might overstock it. This is a relatively new tank set up, so before I add any of these fish I'm going to let my tank cycle. This is the first time I've ever cycled a tank, I read the information on this site and how to do it. But I'm still not sure what cycling means, how do you know if your tank has cycled properly?

Byron 10-27-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehOtter (Post 1287661)
Thanks everyone. I think I've decided on 5 Kuhli Loaches and 4-5 Long-Finned Leopard Danios. I was also thinking about including the Guppies in this set-up as well. Then that would be about it for the tank, I'm worried I might overstock it. This is a relatively new tank set up, so before I add any of these fish I'm going to let my tank cycle. This is the first time I've ever cycled a tank, I read the information on this site and how to do it. But I'm still not sure what cycling means, how do you know if your tank has cycled properly?

I would increase the danio group to no less than 6. Danio can get nippy in too small a group. And i wouldn't temp them with guppies.

On the cycling, with live plants there is no "cycle" that is noticeable as the plants use the ammonia/ammonium. Much easier and safer.