Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   High nitrAte absorbing plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/high-nitrate-absorbing-plants-117521/)

LyzzaRyzz 10-20-2012 02:57 AM

High nitrAte absorbing plants?

I seem to be having a bit of a difficulty with Nitrate in my fry tank. The fry are guppies. Im going to step up my water changes, and i was wondering if there were any plants that are really good at sucking up those pesky NitrAtes?

fish monger 10-20-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 1280691)
I seem to be having a bit of a difficulty with Nitrate in my fry tank. The fry are guppies. Im going to step up my water changes, and i was wondering if there were any plants that are really good at sucking up those pesky NitrAtes?

The fast growing stem / floating plants should help. There are many; however, I really like hornwort. It's difficult with fry, but you might try to vacuum a little when you do your water changes to help remove some waste. Keep an eye on your feeding also. I have periodic nitrate problems and I suspect it's caused by over feeding. Good luck.

Byron 10-20-2012 12:50 PM

If the cause of the nitrates is due to conditions in the tank as opposed to nitrates in the source (tap, well) water, then any fast growing plants should help, with stem and floating being ideal. Also reduce the amount of food, don't overstock with fish, keep the filters well cleaned, and regular 50% weekly water changes; some vacumming of the substrate may be necessary depending upon the tank.

If the nitrates are coming in with the source water, in addition to the above, having some plants that prefer nitrates over ammonium [yes, there are a very few] might help. Walstad mentions four, Echinodorus ranunculoides, Littorella uniflora, Lobelia dortmanna and Luronium natans. Of course, one must remember that all plants will turn to nitrates once the ammonium is no longer sufficient, and the more plants--esp fast growing and floating--there are, the sooner this stage will be reached. Provided everything else is balanced of course. Without adequate light and all nutrients available, plants cannot photosynthesize full out.

Byron.

equatics 10-20-2012 06:40 PM

I just heard that live food might help, and would also stay alive to feed small fry longer. A larger container might help, and cleaning your sponge filter as often as you can might also help, as well as the water changes. Best of luck!

LyzzaRyzz 10-22-2012 12:43 AM

I do have a sand substrate in the tank, im thinking of removing it, or at least balling it up in a nylon [so the bacteria stays in the tank]. There does seem to be some poo and debris clinging to the sand, desprite there being two filters..
The params i got today were
Ph: 6.3ish
Am:.20
NI: 0
NA:10-20

I actually do have duckweed, and water sprite currently in the tank.
I do vacuum, every two days,Im very careful! And besides, i use a big hose, so any fry sucked up would be safe..and able to be cupped back to the tank.
My feeding habits are probably less what they should be, for the amount of fry. I actually dont know how many fry are in the tank, in the last few weeks i know i put close to 40 new fry in there, and i took out a dozen teenager fry and sold them, and theres about 20 smaller teenagers and a few score juvies. I plan on getting a bigger tank, because these guys in a 15 gallon is ridiculous! Anyways, I feed NLS .5mm small fish fomula, about a small pinch every day, and a light sprinkling over the watersprite in the morning/early afternoon, for the new fry that hide in the leaves. I always worry about over/underfeeding, and the ammonia/nitrAte problems that come with it..I always worry, cause these are fry! They need their tank to be healthy! I havent had any fry that show outward signs of sickness...*knocksonwood*
My water changing schedule is about 30% every five days or so. I also vacuum every other day, and add water as it evaporates.

Ive heard some horror stories about live food, id love to try it though, if i found a safe enough way!

Byron 10-22-2012 11:59 AM

This being a fry tank does change things a bit.

Fry need more food than adult fish, since they need the protein to develop and grow properly. Several feedings a day is needed for small fry.

More frequent water changes in fry tanks are normal. And if the parameters between tank and tap are close, the changes can be large volume. Some discus breeders change 90% of the volume 3 times each day. Not saying you need to go that far, but just using the example to point out the value of water changes.

On the substrate, some like bare substrate tanks, some don't. I myself wouldn't, but that is just me. Makes it difficult to hold plants down for one thing, plus all that surface (which is more effective laid out on the substrate) for bacteria is gone.

Byron.