Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   20 Gallon Community tank setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/20-gallon-community-tank-setup-117501/)

miikexo 10-19-2012 09:06 PM

20 Gallon Community tank setup

Hey there,

Im wondering if this would be a good combination for a 20 Gallon Community tank the tank is 24x16x12.

I want to put in

2 Angelfish
2-3 Guppies
2-3 Plattys
6 tetra of some sort or glofish

the main things that i want are the guppies the angelfish if possible and the plattys everything else can change.

Let me know what you think of the combo that I said is it to much? could I put more? please let me know your thoughts if it isnt good then what could i potentially combine?

Heres an idea (obviously over crowded take some out and it will be better i guess)

Tigris 10-19-2012 09:20 PM

Can you give your water parameter? Ph, KH and GH.?
First problem, angelfish get too large and are schooling fish so they need to be in groups of 6+
Second problem is that angelfish are softwater and low ph while everyone else is hard water
Posted via Mobile Device

miikexo 10-19-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigris (Post 1280471)
Can you give your water parameter? Ph, KH and GH.?
First problem, angelfish get too large and are schooling fish so they need to be in groups of 6+
Second problem is that angelfish are softwater and low ph while everyone else is hard water
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't put the tank together yet I will be getting the tank next saturday,

So it sounds like the angels are out becuase I heard from a few places that they arent a good idea any other suggestions for fish I could add in their place I'd like colorful fish with lots of movement I thought about a rainbow shark but any other suggestions?

Tigris 10-19-2012 10:38 PM

If its possible I would try for a larger tank if money/space allows.

Again can you give me the water parameters of your tap?

One possibility is a school of tetras but water dictates what you can have?
Posted via Mobile Device

AK Fresh Water 10-19-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miikexo (Post 1280538)
I haven't put the tank together yet I will be getting the tank next saturday,

So it sounds like the angels are out becuase I heard from a few places that they arent a good idea any other suggestions for fish I could add in their place I'd like colorful fish with lots of movement I thought about a rainbow shark but any other suggestions?

Definite no on the rainbow shark. They require a much larger tank.

miikexo 10-19-2012 11:22 PM

What about this combination?

2 guppies
6 glofish I know these are schooling fish so is 6 to much or just enough or could I go with 4?
4 Tiger barbs I seen on Stocking 5, 10 and 20 Gallon FW Aquariums that They are distinctly sociable though, so keep at least six. In smaller groups they tend to become bored and consequently nippy, attacking anything that canít easily swim away.
2 platys
1 small pleco (I have a miniture pleco in my goldfish tank he is living fine and wont grow very big)

Any ideas on that combination additions or subtractions?

Tigris 10-19-2012 11:58 PM

Tiger barbs will nip guppies so no unfortunately.
Wgat kind of pleco? Rubber lip?
Posted via Mobile Device

miikexo 10-19-2012 11:59 PM

Im not sure what Kind of pleco I have one already I think its a clown or spotted he is really small.

Any other ideas to replace tiger barbs?

Tigris 10-20-2012 12:07 AM

Is he silver with black spots? Picture?

Cherry barbs could replace the tigers but your really close to stocking capacity and you have some water parameter problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

miikexo 10-20-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigris (Post 1280623)
Is he silver with black spots? Picture?

Cherry barbs could replace the tigers but your really close to stocking capacity and you have some water parameter problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay so maybe up the plattys and guppies?

http://i50.tinypic.com/kda1x5.jpg heres a pic of him