Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   green terror what is the best place to get it ??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/green-terror-what-best-place-get-11731/)

tankbud 02-10-2008 01:10 AM

green terror what is the best place to get it ???

i just went to a fish store the best in my area and i saw a green terror labeled ROYAL GREEN TERROR for $20 and they are about 1 or 2 inches they said they are the true green terror but i saw orange on the outside fins could this be a true terror or a goldsuam?? and they have goldsuam smaller for like $5 at petsmart. where should i get my fish petsmart or the fish store??
also im on a budget so if i can get the exact same fish at the both places and both are healthy then i would buy the one at petsmart for $5 then spending 20 for the same thing unless its the true terror

also im getting a green terror and 2 firemouths what can i put in so they can hide such as rocks,wood,and flower pots,and what can i use for caves

herefishy 02-10-2008 01:35 AM

Warning!!! There is a reason a green terror is known as a green terror. Beware. Really a nice looking fish, in fact I have some, but I would not recommend them for everyone, especially in a community tank.

Gump 02-10-2008 10:46 AM

I highly doubt your local fish store has true green terrors, and since you said it has orange on the fins it would prove my point. True green terrors are drab in color and quite rare since most dont find them appealing.

$20 is a normal price in my area for a little GT. Also something to look into is GTs are very slow growers so there price goes up quickly with size. I loved my old GT.

herefishy 02-13-2008 09:49 PM

The orange is a color variant. They have been around for some time now.

Gage 02-17-2008 11:54 PM

ok, lets get this strait:

Aequidens Rivulatus = true Green terror, white edge ONLY

Aequidens sp. Goldsaum = false Green terror (the ONLY one with orange)

Aequidens sp. Silversaum = false Green terror, often confused with Rivulatus because of the white edge, but the pearl spots are different then on a true rivulatus

your LFS had Aequidens sp Goldsaum, but 20 bux for a goldsaum isnt bad, if it were rivulatus, you would be most likely paying more then double that, and you would be buying an ugly fish (until it grows larger) and it would have white edging not orange

hope i answered your question.

herefishy 02-18-2008 12:10 AM

Missed the fins part. Sorry.

My "Terrors" do exhibit an orangish hue on the throat area at breeding time. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Mine gave me fits trying to identify them when I first got them from a friend that goes on "safari" every couple of years. I finally took a couple to an OCA function that I knew some people in the know would attend. It took all weekend, but all were in agreement, in the end, that these fish were green terrors. The throat thing really through me off. There is also a difference in the number of rays of the fins as I recall. One of the gentleman expained all of that to me. I get into fish but to count the number of rays in the fins.......that's REALLY getting into the hobby.

Gage 02-18-2008 10:54 AM

lol, ok.

as far as identifying, their is something to do with the green pearling that is different on a Rivulatus as opposed to Gold/Silversaum. something about Gold/Silversaum having the green on the edge of the scales and rivulatus having them in the middle, i cant remember exactly though.

impuls3d 02-18-2008 11:03 AM

I bought my Green terror yestarday for 5.99 at petsmart! They only had 2 left. Its beautiful, the orange on the fins stick out and when he fits there and spreads its fins, its nice.

I used to have "true" green terrors i believe. I bought them at Big als for about 5 bucks each a few years ago. My advice would be, dont buy 2 males and 1 female. There will be a lot of competition. the male and the female that got together killed the lonely male. Extremely agressive fish when they are bigger, espeically the males.

Gage 02-18-2008 11:10 AM

they looked like this right?
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...s2007068-1.jpg
thats a Silversaum, not a Rivulatus. (thats mine BTW)

bolty 03-08-2008 02:50 AM

"ROYAL" Green terror = Gold saum

from a LFS point of view if adding a "ROYAL" looks better and people are buying them more or well........... well, its a LFS anything they can do to get you to buy them they will.....

there is nowt "ROYAL" about the "ROYAL" green terror, my LFS is a business around my way, the other day they had Texas marked up as "ROYAL" Texas.......... think im going to breed Cons and put them on E-bay as "ROYAL" cons 50 each .lol...