Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish Suggestions For An Open Mind (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-suggestions-open-mind-117271/)

jfengler 10-17-2012 03:31 AM

Fish Suggestions For An Open Mind

I have a 285L tank with 2 Pictus Cats, 1 Peacock Eel, 1 Synodontis Eupterus, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 African Butterfly Fish, 2 Marble Bristlenoses, 1 Albino Cory, 1 Panda Cory, 1 Black Shark and 2 sepea tetras
Im looking for a few more fish to add as they are all mainly bottom dwellers and i want some to hang in the middle area mostly, and also something that wont move the sand around and change the tank. im getting 4 albino convicts but if they dont suit it then they can go in my other tank. Any help with this is appreciated, I dont want any questions about my pH, nitrate or anything like that, its all sorted and couldnt be more perfect, Cheers

thekoimaiden 10-17-2012 02:51 PM

Why not add to the school of serpae tetra? You've got room; make it a school of 10 or so. I'm sure they will be much more active in the middle of the tank then.

squishylittlefishies 10-17-2012 06:47 PM

gouramis, especially the dwarf variety are beautiful and peaceful. if you are wanting a school though i would not reccomend these as they don't get along with eachother. shrimp are always good. they are not technically fish, but they are truly fascinating creatures. hmm, i will think of more and get back to you...oh! how many gallons is your tank? sorry i'm not good at unit conversions.

thekoimaiden 10-17-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies (Post 1278271)
gouramis, especially the dwarf variety are beautiful and peaceful. if you are wanting a school though i would not reccomend these as they don't get along with eachother. shrimp are always good. they are not technically fish, but they are truly fascinating creatures. hmm, i will think of more and get back to you...oh! how many gallons is your tank? sorry i'm not good at unit conversions.

Liters to Gallons (US) and US Gallon to Liter ( Gal to L ) Online Conversion Calculator This is a good page to bookmark. Great for conversions.

His tank is about 75 gallons.

Some of the larger gourami like blue gourami and moonlight gourami would work better than a dwarf gourami. Dwarf gourami have a lot of problems due to commercial inbreeding.

squishylittlefishies 10-17-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1278287)
His tank is about 75 gallons.
Some of the larger gourami like blue gourami and moonlight gourami would work better than a dwarf gourami. Dwarf gourami have a lot of problems due to commercial inbreeding.

thanks. true about the gouramis. i didn't think of that...i just think they are so pretty. also, i found out that danios or minnows would get along well with your fishes. I don't like the look of most popular danios, but white cloud mountain minnows are absolutely gorgeous! you could get a school of maybe 6 or 7. they would swim around the top and middle. they do like cooler temperatures, but as long as your tank isn't too hot they should be fine. they are one of the most hardy types of fish so I love them.

jfengler 10-18-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishylittlefishies (Post 1278329)
thanks. true about the gouramis. i didn't think of that...i just think they are so pretty. also, i found out that danios or minnows would get along well with your fishes. I don't like the look of most popular danios, but white cloud mountain minnows are absolutely gorgeous! you could get a school of maybe 6 or 7. they would swim around the top and middle. they do like cooler temperatures, but as long as your tank isn't too hot they should be fine. they are one of the most hardy types of fish so I love them.

Hm ok, ive had gouramis before and im not a fan after my moonlights passed away.
im looking for something a little bigger than danios and white clouds. I was thinking sharks maybe. schooling fish around the size of a dwarf gourami would be instantly perfect.. Sorry for being fussy but i just am

squishylittlefishies 10-18-2012 10:21 PM

I don't know many sharks but for a bigger schooling fish, could you try some long finned zebra danios? those are like 3 inches big, and are one type of danio I do think are amazing.

Pearl2011 10-18-2012 10:27 PM

Giant danios? By neighbor has some and there sooo active.