Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Are my Emerald Cories fighting? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/my-emerald-cories-fighting-117172/)

Sylverclaws 10-16-2012 06:06 AM

Are my Emerald Cories fighting?

I haven't seen my Emerald Green Cories act like this before. They do a lot of swimming together and acting chummy...but today two of them acted rather aggressive. Or so it looked. They silted up my tank pretty bad too, and they did this for hours. Are they fighting? Breeding maybe? I was told they were both female and I can't tell them apart either way. ^^;

If they are fighting, what do I do about it? I don't want anyone getting injured. I've had these two for abut seven or eight months now. This went on for hours, but I can't -see- any damage on them. They calmed down, but I was a little stunned by it. They're normally very energetic, but sweet.

I have a video of some of it, but it doesn't start until about 23 seconds in.

Just to be clear, this is in my nursery tank where they live. I also have some Black Kuhli Loaches that are regulars, and a whole lot of molly fry who are temporaries in their home. lol

Byron 10-16-2012 11:36 AM

That is spawning behaviour, or pre-spawning, though it can have other reasons. The male chases the female, nudging and tickling her with his sensitive barbels [one writer referred to this as the cory equivalent of a kiss:-)]. Corys will often do this just for the fun of doing it, so two males or two females. I see it across species too.

This occurs in many other species of fish, in slightly different forms. Shoaling fish, meaning fish that live in large groups, almost always have some form of interactive behaviour like this. Nothing to worry about, the fish are obviously happy and in good health or they wouldn't interact like this. But i would get a couple more. If you only want this one spec ies, I would get 3 ore for a group of five. If you want other species too, try to have no less than 3 of a species. Less than 3 (with several species in the tank) is not a problem, I have a couple of single and dual fish species in with my group of 30+ corys, but it is always best to have more. They are very social fish.

Byron.

Sylverclaws 10-16-2012 07:16 PM

Well thank you, Byron! I had seen them "Dance" with each other before, but I hadn't seen them do that chase and nom thing. lol I was worried they may have been unhappy about something. I AM looking for a couple more to go with them, but the ones I keep finding are either a lot bigger, or not the right kind. I would like to get some around the same age group, although I am sure they'd be fine with younger or older Cories. lol I just haven't had good luck finding them. The ones they had at the shop were probably a couple years old! Mine were babies when I got them and were only about an inch, if that. Now they're about...one is about two inches, the other is about a quarter inch smaller or so. =) Other than the big ones, there were three smaller ones, but two of them looked sick and I didn't trust getting the other one. =( I am looking though, and I have been for quite a while! They're very common to find, but it's difficult to find them in good health. I intend to have four or five. I know they need a MINIMUM of four in a group, preferably 5+ but when I got them, I was still learning and didn't know that. =( I feel bad, but they seem to be happy. I can't wait to get them into a proper group!

I would love it if they bred, that tank would be perfect for it too. lol If they do lay any eggs, would it be ok to move them into a net in the same tank? Or do I need something specific for the eggs/babies? I know the parents may eat both eggs and fry if I leave them. Same with the loaches.

Byron 10-16-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylverclaws (Post 1277042)
Well thank you, Byron! I had seen them "Dance" with each other before, but I hadn't seen them do that chase and nom thing. lol I was worried they may have been unhappy about something. I AM looking for a couple more to go with them, but the ones I keep finding are either a lot bigger, or not the right kind. I would like to get some around the same age group, although I am sure they'd be fine with younger or older Cories. lol I just haven't had good luck finding them. The ones they had at the shop were probably a couple years old! Mine were babies when I got them and were only about an inch, if that. Now they're about...one is about two inches, the other is about a quarter inch smaller or so. =) Other than the big ones, there were three smaller ones, but two of them looked sick and I didn't trust getting the other one. =( I am looking though, and I have been for quite a while! They're very common to find, but it's difficult to find them in good health. I intend to have four or five. I know they need a MINIMUM of four in a group, preferably 5+ but when I got them, I was still learning and didn't know that. =( I feel bad, but they seem to be happy. I can't wait to get them into a proper group!

I would love it if they bred, that tank would be perfect for it too. lol If they do lay any eggs, would it be ok to move them into a net in the same tank? Or do I need something specific for the eggs/babies? I know the parents may eat both eggs and fry if I leave them. Same with the loaches.

Don't worry about sizes, corys will never get rough with each other. They will eat eggs and tiny fry if they find them, as all fish will, but once the fry are of a decent size there are n o problems.

Corys lay eggs on surfaces, often scattered all around, using plant leaves, tank walls, filter tubes, wood, whatever. The eggs can be carefully scraped off and placed in a small tank with an airstone to maintain some water movement. When they hatch, they will forage for food on the substrate. Sand substrate, lots of wood and plants to encourage microscopic live foods. A net in the main tank should work, though getting food to them might be tricky.