Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   canister filtration questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/canister-filtration-questions-117098/)

Alvernaz20 10-15-2012 02:45 AM

canister filtration questions

hello i just got the cascade 700 about a week ago....i heard that it was supposed to keep the water clean and you rarely have to change it ..but after about 5 days it was gettin dirty and i had to do a partial water change...do you think its somthin i havta clean out in my aquarium or maybe the canister isnt running sufficiently?...... those who have the cascade 700 please let me know how yours runs normally...i have a 38 gallon take...please let me know... i really want somthin that i dont havta change the water often and would liek a bit of help

Romad 10-15-2012 05:18 AM

It could be that you're overfeeding or overstocked with fish. How many fish and what size? And how much do you feed them and how often?

AbbeysDad 10-15-2012 08:57 AM

In addition to Romad's questions, what are you using for filter media and what else can you tell us about the history and configuration of your tank...

What size?
What substrate?
Established (>=6 months) or new?
Numbers and species of fish?

All that aside, you should plan on doing weekly water changes of at least 25% and the filter must be serviced at least once a month (more if needed).

Also, it's best to have very fine media (e.g. filter floss) in the last stage of the filter to polish the water before returning to the tank.

Alvernaz20 10-15-2012 12:27 PM

it is an established tank but it was not in use for a few years i just recently set it back up 2 weeks ago... i have the filter media that came with the canister.... 2 small kois.. and a parrot fish is what is in there

Alvernaz20 10-15-2012 12:29 PM

do u reccomend any canisters where u rarely have to change the water .. like once a month or so

1077 10-15-2012 01:24 PM

Would in my view need large plant mass (which koi would happily eat), and small stocking level with small fish, to be able to pull off once monthly water changes.
What goes in the fish (food's) must come out, and it is this waste which work's against maintaining water quality to the degree needed by most fishes (especially those you mention).
Organic waste build's up in the aquarium and it is not unlike leaving a toilet unflushed for a week or month.
The fish try to adapt to the poor condition's but ultimately, the organic content becomes so uncomfortable, that the fish become stressed,which in turn weaken's their immune sytem, which in turn = sick fish.They are much more easliy kept healthy with weekly 35 to 50 % water changes.
Canister filter's can be cleaned once a month, but to rid the tank of the organic 's that are building up each day,,water changes each week are the way forward.

AbbeysDad 10-15-2012 03:42 PM

Koi and Parots get huge....don't they? You don't mention the size of the tank, but for those fish I'm oping the answer isn't less than a 125g.

I suppose that one could say that with extremely sophisticated filtration/purification one might stave off water changes for a month. After all, commercial aquariums don't do 50% weekly water changes. However, there is no canister and/or bio-filter that is likely to do what simple weekly water changes can do.

All organic waste breaks down and creates ammonia. Beneficial bacteria process the ammonia and create nitrites. Another beneficial bacteria converts nitrites into nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic to fish. Nitrates are less toxic, but high levels create long term negative health effects. Short of fairly sophisticated de-nitrate filtration, there is no way to filter nitrates which is a big reason for partial weekly water changes.

If you have a lot of plants you can reduce nitrates, but you would need a tank full of plants with very little stock to be able to prevent a rise in nitrates in time.
With a lot of plants and a low level of stock/bio-load, you might be able to stretch to every other week water changes....maybe.

But what you might better do is work on having equipment and procedures so the weekly water change is very efficient. You should be able to do nearly any tank in under an hour, including filter and glass maintenance. An hour a week doesn't seem like that much trouble....does it?

Tigris 10-15-2012 06:21 PM

It said 38 gallon tank
Posted via Mobile Device

Alvernaz20 10-15-2012 07:33 PM

Ok thank you all for your help...was curious as to think that having to clean it every week is normal...... As for the fish they are currently very small... But when they get bigger im going to give them back to the store or give them to someone with a pond

Geomancer 10-18-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvernaz20 (Post 1276267)
Ok thank you all for your help...was curious as to think that having to clean it every week is normal...... As for the fish they are currently very small... But when they get bigger im going to give them back to the store or give them to someone with a pond

I would do that sooner rather than later. If you wait too long, they will be stunted which is something they can never recover from.

Koi get beyond large, they are a pond fish only. They can get up to 2 to 3 feet in length, and should be kept in nothing less than 1000 gallons.