Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Odd cloudiness.. Advice needed. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/odd-cloudiness-advice-needed-117074/)

redchigh 10-14-2012 08:38 PM

Odd cloudiness.. Advice needed.

One of my tanks has been cloudy for several months now. The "cloudiness" is greyish white.

I've assumed it was either a bacterial bloom or dirtiness from sand. (I washed the sand, but perhaps not enough.)

Both should have cleared up by now, but there's been no improvement. (The cloudiness clears with large waterchanges, but comes back in a few hours)

I've tried changing the filter media- No difference.
I've tried running no filter and letting the plants do the filtering- No difference.

I made my own 'polishing' filter, and it realy has me confused.. The filter media (polyester felt and cotton fluff media), quickly turned BLACK. The media smelled of rotten eggs, but the water has the normal aquarium smell. I'd assume there's some sort of anaerobic bacteria bloom, but its illogical that it would be in the water column without a tankfull of dead fish., plus all the fish are perfectly healthy. I haven't lost a single fish. I do have some driftwood I might yank out, but it doesn't make sense that it could be the problem. Any ideas?

I want to avoid chemicals, but I'm pretty fed up and might have to resort to using something.
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 10-15-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1275331)
One of my tanks has been cloudy for several months now. The "cloudiness" is greyish white.

I've assumed it was either a bacterial bloom or dirtiness from sand. (I washed the sand, but perhaps not enough.)

Both should have cleared up by now, but there's been no improvement. (The cloudiness clears with large waterchanges, but comes back in a few hours)

I've tried changing the filter media- No difference.
I've tried running no filter and letting the plants do the filtering- No difference.

I made my own 'polishing' filter, and it realy has me confused.. The filter media (polyester felt and cotton fluff media), quickly turned BLACK. The media smelled of rotten eggs, but the water has the normal aquarium smell. I'd assume there's some sort of anaerobic bacteria bloom, but its illogical that it would be in the water column without a tankfull of dead fish., plus all the fish are perfectly healthy. I haven't lost a single fish. I do have some driftwood I might yank out, but it doesn't make sense that it could be the problem. Any ideas?

I want to avoid chemicals, but I'm pretty fed up and might have to resort to using something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Might try running some fresh carbon in the filter for a few day's.
The driftwood could be the source of smell and cloudinesss depending on how old it is(rotting is natural).
I have a couple pieces of four year old Mopani wood that stink's to high heaven when I pull it out for tank maint but it has had no negative effect on fishes.
Maybe filter does not have large enough surface area for mechanical media if it is turning black quickly?

Byron 10-15-2012 06:43 PM

I would suggest this is a bacterial bloom. I have had the same. As it is harmless to the fish, I just leave it to sort itself out. I find usually this occurs in a tank with a new substrate. When I changed my gravel to sand in five of my tanks over the past couple years, this bacterial bloom would appear; the length varied from tank to tank. My 115g was probably the worst, it ran for several months, then suddenly overnight, gone.

Had the same in the 70g with Flourite, this lasted for maybe 3 months.

For a couple years I had a slight cloudiness in my 90g. I often wondered if it was the gravel, which was unique to this tank. But this cleared up a few months back. It was puz\zxling, when only the one our of 6 or 7 tanks had this, and the light, water changes, plants, fish load, ferts were identical in all tanks.:question:

I usually see this when I clean the canister filters. Lasts perhaps a couple days, sometimes up to a week, but not heavy, just not quite clear.

Byron.

redchigh 10-16-2012 01:38 PM

Well it's very worrisome.. I normally under-filter my tanks and let the plants do the work, but the plants are dying from lack of light. (swords and java moss are doing well, and the dwarf sag released from the substrate and is doing well as a floating plant. Everything else is dead and gone.)

I guess the filter I made is a waste of electricity.. Only as a way to diagnose the problem, could I dose an antibiotic and add a large floating mass of elodea to cover for the dead filter bacteria? (I have enough elodea to cover the whole surface to a depth of two inches)

redchigh 10-16-2012 01:44 PM

Well it's very worrisome.. I normally under-filter my tanks and let the plants do the work, but the plants are dying from lack of light. (swords and java moss are doing well, and the dwarf sag released from the substrate and is doing well as a floating plant. Everything else is dead and gone.)

I guess the filter I made is a waste of electricity.. Only as a way to diagnose the problem, could I dose an antibiotic and add a large floating mass of elodea to cover for the dead filter bacteria? (I have enough elodea to cover the whole surface to a depth of two inches)

Fredsterbit 10-16-2012 03:05 PM

Could it be that there is something that is rotting in the tank..?

Byron 10-16-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1276639)

The cloudiness is so thick the light is not getting through to plants?

I would never use an antibiotic with fish and plants in the tank. I have killed plants with antibiotics that were necessary for a fish problem. I maintain that one should never subject fish to any "treatment" or medication that is not essential to their health.

redchigh 10-16-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1276734)
The cloudiness is so thick the light is not getting through to plants?

Yes.. 22watts of cfls, over a 10 gallon, and everything but the swords and java moss has died off... At this point, even the swords are starting to look quite poor.
If you can imagine the murkiness of a mixture of half milk and half water, thats how it looks. All parameters look good and the fish are healthy... Just the plants are dying/dead. (java moss looks amazing though...I suppose its getting more nutrients than usual.) I'll take the driftwood out and see if it helps tomorrow.

Okay, to give you a better idea.. Looking through the front pane of the tank, I can't see the driftwood or plants at all. (I can only see about four inches into the tank.)

Byron 10-16-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1276902)
Yes.. 22watts of cfls, over a 10 gallon, and everything but the swords and java moss has died off... At this point, even the swords are starting to look quite poor.
If you can imagine the murkiness of a mixture of half milk and half water, thats how it looks. All parameters look good and the fish are healthy... Just the plants are dying/dead. (java moss looks amazing though...I suppose its getting more nutrients than usual.) I'll take the driftwood out and see if it helps tomorrow.

Okay, to give you a better idea.. Looking through the front pane of the tank, I can't see the driftwood or plants at all. (I can only see about four inches into the tank.)

I've only ever seen that when there is excess sediment washed into our water by very heavy rains, something which doesn't happen much.

I don't know what to suggest. Don't suppose this is one of those soil tanks?

redchigh 10-16-2012 07:30 PM

Well it has about three tablespoons of clay soil under a few inches of sand. I thought about silt from the sand being the culprit, but it usually filters out or settles.. Perhaps the cories' digging keeps it from settling? I'd hate to have to redo the whole tank...