Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Baby Black Kuhli Loaches! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/baby-black-kuhli-loaches-117069/)

Sylverclaws 10-14-2012 07:06 PM

Baby Black Kuhli Loaches!

Oh I am so excited about it I decided to make a post!

I got some Black Kuhli loaches about two months or so ago, hoping but not expecting them to breed. Well they did. I hear it's nearly impossible to get them to breed in aquariums without adding in hormones and things like that, but I said if they don't want to breed, I'm not going to make them do it by adding things.

Well a few minutes ago I looked over there and saw two Kuhli's way smaller than the ones I have, which are about three to four inches long. The little ones are only about an inch or so, I have no idea how long they were there. I had two or three males and five or six females in there(I have eight, two males for sure, one I am not sure about). You'd think it'd be hard to miss bright green eggs, not to mention the parents will sometimes eat both the eggs and the babies, so I have no idea how many there were originally. But I moved the rock cave and there's ten or fifteen babies in there! I am so excited about it!

Any tips on what to feed them? They're doing well as is. I put pieces of algae wafers in there, brine shimp, blood worms, tube worms and some plant matter. I also have molly and platy fry in there, and the kuhli's will eat a lot of the same stuff they do too. But do I need smaller stuff, like baby brine shrimp for them to be absolutely sure they get enough to eat?

squishylittlefishies 10-20-2012 05:12 PM

really?!! baby khuli loaches? that is so amazing. please post some pictures so we can see them. as for feeding, what you've got sounds good to me. the brine shrimp might help them grow, but I do not think it is neccasary.
again, post some pics! this is so exciting!

LyzzaRyzz 10-21-2012 01:10 AM

Post picture! I love loaches! Good luck with those babies!!

Sylverclaws 10-21-2012 07:35 AM

I would LOVE to post some photos, and have been trying to get some, but I NEVER see them. When I do, they usually flee after a few seconds. lol They like to hide out in the cave...and they're older than I thought. I've never seen babies either, so I looked up photos. These guys are at least a month or two old. lol They've lost that "I can see through you like glass" look and have gotten darker. Some are more tan in color, others are already getting darker. But if I can get a good shot or video for you, I'm on it! =)

LyzzaRyzz 10-22-2012 12:48 AM

Video is the way to go! You can always clip it to size lol. Or have someone else videotape while you move the rock or whatever their hiding in? I always recruit my boyfriend to help me..hes gotten to be a pro at releasing fish into the tank! lol

Sylverclaws 10-22-2012 06:09 PM

This may end up being just a part one. LOL You will see why I have so much trouble finding them, but I did sorta get a shot of one, and then another whizzed by, but you could barely see it. lol I moved the rock earlier and they all just burrowed into the sand, brats. Eh well, they'll be seen when they WANT to be seen...or random takes of them here and there attempting to hide. lol Sorry guys, kinda the best I got today, and I apologise for some of the reflection spots. x.x

And here's a photo of a baby behind the adults tail, his head is much smaller. It's not very good photo either, but I am trying! T^T

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...Fish/003-2.jpg

Sylverclaws 10-28-2012 08:09 PM

I recently found some more babies, new ones that were about three quarters of an inch long or so, but they got eaten before I noticed them. ;.; In otherwords, I only found pieces of them. v.v;

But I do have a very chunky female in there and I can see her eggs through her skin, so I'm gonna keep a close eye out for any eggs and maybe I'll get some photos or video for you guys! =)

Now I know they usually lay eggs as they "dance" and they stick where they fall, but do you guys have any tips on how I can get the eggs without harming them if they lay them in the cave again like they have been? I also found some partially eaten eggs in there, they either stay on the ground or stick to the side of the rock cave. I'm shocked I even got any to begin with since they've been laying eggs in the cave where all eight of them sleep. @.@