Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-fish-116982/)

Xavier10 10-13-2012 06:04 PM

New fish

1 Attachment(s)
Sup guys finally got new fish 12 Harlequin Rasbora guy at the fish store told me not to feed them till Monday today is Saturday. They seem to be swimming around curiously and look pretty happy. There fins seem to be spread I here this is a good sign. My question is how long did you guys wait to feed your fish? These are my first fish in my tank.

I got some Brazilian pennywort with pretty long stems could I cut them or just let them be?

I bought these fish from pacific aquarium if anyone here from the NYC area.

Byron 10-13-2012 07:05 PM

The store's advice is pretty good, for once. But I always feed the day after. Sometimes they readily eat, sometimes not. Very little though, just a few small flakes.

On the Pennywort, as with all stem plants the best looking part is the growing tip, so cut the stems at any point and place the cut ends in the substrate. When the stems reach the length you want, which will in this case be the surface and then they will grow along the surface if left unchecked, pull up the stems, cut at an appropriate length, and replant the growing tip stems. The lower part of the stems, especially as the stems grow, will tend to look less attractive and leaves may yellow.

Byron.

Xavier10 10-13-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1274138)
The store's advice is pretty good, for once. But I always feed the day after. Sometimes they readily eat, sometimes not. Very little though, just a few small flakes.

On the Pennywort, as with all stem plants the best looking part is the growing tip, so cut the stems at any point and place the cut ends in the substrate. When the stems reach the length you want, which will in this case be the surface and then they will grow along the surface if left unchecked, pull up the stems, cut at an appropriate length, and replant the growing tip stems. The lower part of the stems, especially as the stems grow, will tend to look less attractive and leaves may yellow.

Byron.

Thanks a lot!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Xavier10 10-13-2012 09:07 PM

I wanna get 10 zebra danio I see here there temp range is up to 77 my tank is at about 76degrees will they be ok with that. I know it's close to their max temp range.

Byron 10-14-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier10 (Post 1274261)
I wanna get 10 zebra danio I see here there temp range is up to 77 my tank is at about 76degrees will they be ok with that. I know it's close to their max temp range.

On the issue of temp, with the two fish mentioned i would lower the temp a tad, say to 74-75F. This won't hurt the rasbora, and it will be better for the danio.

But I have another caution on combining these two species, and that is their differing activity levels. Danio are fairly active, rasbora are not. If I'm correct in remembering this to be a 29g tank, I would myself not add danios.

I have maintained 3 of the 4 species in Trigonstigma, and all are quiet fish that tend to remain in a group with minimal swimming. For a time I had some in my 90g and it was obvious that the active swimming of other fish in the tank like Congo Tetra, Black Ruby Barb and Emperor Tetra was making them nervous, so I moved them into my 29g and they calmed down.

Byron.

Xavier10 10-14-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1274735)
On the issue of temp, with the two fish mentioned i would lower the temp a tad, say to 74-75F. This won't hurt the rasbora, and it will be better for the danio.

But I have another caution on combining these two species, and that is their differing activity levels. Danio are fairly active, rasbora are not. If I'm correct in remembering this to be a 29g tank, I would myself not add danios.

I have maintained 3 of the 4 species in Trigonstigma, and all are quiet fish that tend to remain in a group with minimal swimming. For a time I had some in my 90g and it was obvious that the active swimming of other fish in the tank like Congo Tetra, Black Ruby Barb and Emperor Tetra was making them nervous, so I moved them into my 29g and they calmed down.

Byron.

Oh ok. I have a 50 gallon. I'm having a hard time thinking of what to stock. I want to get tiger barbs sometime down the line. Could you suggest some fish to go in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 10-14-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier10 (Post 1274742)
Oh ok. I have a 50 gallon. I'm having a hard time thinking of what to stock. I want to get tiger barbs sometime down the line. Could you suggest some fish to go in.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're not going to like me, but... Tiger Barb will be even worse. They too are more active, plus they have the nasty habit of nipping fins of quieter fish. Now, having larger groups and in the spaciousness of your 4-foot tank may avoid this nipping outside their own species, but it is not guaranteed.

Generally speaking, all danio and barb are active fish. All rasbora are quiet, relatively non-active swimmers. Characins (tetra, hatchets, pencils) can be either depending upon species. Having started with the beautiful rasbora, I would suggest browsing through the other rasbora species and the characins to find some options for tankmates. There are many. And, you could also consider some "centerpiece" type fish. Gourami fit into this mix, being sedate fish. Just watch the species, and numbers, as males are territorial. Another option are some of the smaller cichlids; not with gourami though, as males of both are territorial.

Byron.

Xavier10 10-14-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1274759)
You're not going to like me, but... Tiger Barb will be even worse. They too are more active, plus they have the nasty habit of nipping fins of quieter fish. Now, having larger groups and in the spaciousness of your 4-foot tank may avoid this nipping outside their own species, but it is not guaranteed.

Generally speaking, all danio and barb are active fish. All rasbora are quiet, relatively non-active swimmers. Characins (tetra, hatchets, pencils) can be either depending upon species. Having started with the beautiful rasbora, I would suggest browsing through the other rasbora species and the characins to find some options for tankmates. There are many. And, you could also consider some "centerpiece" type fish. Gourami fit into this mix, being sedate fish. Just watch the species, and numbers, as males are territorial. Another option are some of the smaller cichlids; not with gourami though, as males of both are territorial.

Byron.

Oh no I appreciate your help. Most likely I will take the rasboras out and put them in my 10 gallon and get a betta in there with plants.
Would the betta and rasboras be fine?
Posted via Mobile Device

And my 50 gallon would be the tiger barbs.the zebra danios and not sure what else.

Byron 10-14-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier10 (Post 1274772)
Oh no I appreciate your help. Most likely I will take the rasboras out and put them in my 10 gallon and get a betta in there with plants.
Would the betta and rasboras be fine?
Posted via Mobile Device

And my 50 gallon would be the tiger barbs.the zebra danios and not sure what else.

More bad news. Betta really are not community fish. Now, sometimes a Betta will tolerate other fish, but the majority of the time not. But there is also the reverse problem--even otherwise peaceful fish like rasbora can be so tempted by the flowing fins of the Betta that they will nip them. Poor Betta. And in the relatively small confines of a 10g, this is even more likely to occur.

Leave the Betta on his own for the good of him and the other fish. I would also not want to subject a group of Harlequin Rasbora to such a small space. I know they don't swim around a lot, but they do like some area to roam.

Xavier10 10-14-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1274812)
More bad news. Betta really are not community fish. Now, sometimes a Betta will tolerate other fish, but the majority of the time not. But there is also the reverse problem--even otherwise peaceful fish like rasbora can be so tempted by the flowing fins of the Betta that they will nip them. Poor Betta. And in the relatively small confines of a 10g, this is even more likely to occur.

Leave the Betta on his own for the good of him and the other fish. I would also not want to subject a group of Harlequin Rasbora to such a small space. I know they don't swim around a lot, but they do like some area to roam.

As long as you don't tell me my dog died we are cool. Haha. Thanks ill figure something out using the information you gave me. I really appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device