Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   bristle nose pleco babies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/bristle-nose-pleco-babies-116946/)

yyankeeyankeefan 10-13-2012 11:44 AM

bristle nose pleco babies

so i am cleaning my son's 20 gallon today.... and what do i find? baby albino bn plecos! how cool is that?! considering that i have only been able to find one in his tank for about a week now (no naturally i assumed the other had died and i cried like an idiot because they were my fav. in his tank). i have found the other that was cleverly hiding with the babies i am assuming. is there anything special i need to do now that i know they are there? to be honest i have no idea how many are in there. i saw 4 today. but i don't know if there are more or not. thank god i saw them when i did cause i was getting ready to just clean the hell out of my son's tank! lol. some of them were in the gravel.... * yay for dark gravel and albino bn....great choice on my part. lol.*

SeaHorse 10-13-2012 02:24 PM

Awww. Awesome! I think the missing parent has things well under control! This is a blessing to be sure! Just make sure that you don't miss feedings as they are so young and may not be able to skip one. Or make sure you have some form of food that falls to the bottom, algae wafers for instance, not sure if they will eat shrimp pellets. Makes me think you have set up your tank with very ideal conditions for reproducing! I look at that as a very good sign of a healthy functioning tank if it produces young.
I am wondering exactly what you were about to do to "clean" the tank? Is it algae? or were you going to dismantle and scrub it all out clean? Bristlenose Pleco's are the top algae cleaners and they will need that algae to feed on.
I'm asking because in my many years of fish keeping I look back and cringe at what I used to do to my tanks. 2 x a year I would tear down and scrub everything in that tank. An all day affair. Looked lovely all set up again, until fish would die a few weeks later after I had unknowingly sent the tank thru an AM/NI/NA cycle. Asking so that I can spare you the same troubles and fish deaths. What size tank?

yyankeeyankeefan 10-13-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1273851)
Awww. Awesome! I think the missing parent has things well under control! This is a blessing to be sure! Just make sure that you don't miss feedings as they are so young and may not be able to skip one. Or make sure you have some form of food that falls to the bottom, algae wafers for instance, not sure if they will eat shrimp pellets. Makes me think you have set up your tank with very ideal conditions for reproducing! I look at that as a very good sign of a healthy functioning tank if it produces young.
I am wondering exactly what you were about to do to "clean" the tank? Is it algae? or were you going to dismantle and scrub it all out clean? Bristlenose Pleco's are the top algae cleaners and they will need that algae to feed on.
I'm asking because in my many years of fish keeping I look back and cringe at what I used to do to my tanks. 2 x a year I would tear down and scrub everything in that tank. An all day affair. Looked lovely all set up again, until fish would die a few weeks later after I had unknowingly sent the tank thru an AM/NI/NA cycle. Asking so that I can spare you the same troubles and fish deaths. What size tank?

i was going to take out all the decor and get the java moss off from it and take out some of the baby plants and re-stack the rock cave...ect. just a every 3 month thing i do. but it seems the babies are hiding well. i was wondering why the algea was more under control then normal. lol.

yyankeeyankeefan 10-13-2012 03:09 PM

i have had this tank running since feb of this year. it is a 20 gallon tank. i just like to make sure everything is maintained. i don't mess with the algae if it is edible to my oto or snails. or my fish fry. i do have plattys and guppies in there also. i will take a pic of the tank and post it :)

yyankeeyankeefan 10-13-2012 03:28 PM

pics of the tank.

3 Attachment(s)
the mouth of the dragon is where they have been hiding. it is hollow inside. i think all the babies are in there right now as i couldn't find any. they are so tiny and adorable! the father is the one hiding there at the moment. he has just started to show his bristles. so i can't wait until they grow a little more.

SeaHorse 10-13-2012 03:51 PM

Awesome!! Glad you are just "re-scaping" the place. I would never have thought they would hide in the dragon's mouth!! What a major surprise after being so sad over their loss. lol. I'm glad you had such a wonderful surprise.
Any thoughts on what you are going to do with them all? My LFS will buy whatever I bring them. Do you have the same option?

yyankeeyankeefan 10-13-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1273933)
Awesome!! Glad you are just "re-scaping" the place. I would never have thought they would hide in the dragon's mouth!! What a major surprise after being so sad over their loss. lol. I'm glad you had such a wonderful surprise.
Any thoughts on what you are going to do with them all? My LFS will buy whatever I bring them. Do you have the same option?

i am going to keep them i think. might sell two of them. idk yet. or i can give them to the pet store if i can't find homes for them. i need a pleco in my daughter's tank and i might be able to get one inside my betta tank. it isn't that aggressive as others. so i might have homes here in the house for them. lol. idk yet.

BridgieB 10-13-2012 06:15 PM

Very cool! Congrat's that's a lovely surprise!

yyankeeyankeefan 10-13-2012 07:46 PM

count is now up to 5. lol. so will be interesting to see how many there actually are...i am hoping that 5 is accurate.

yyankeeyankeefan 10-13-2012 07:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
pics of the baby. i have no idea how old they are :(