Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Sex change? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/sex-change-116941/)

MollyMomma 10-13-2012 11:20 AM

Sex change?

Is it possible that my male platy is turning into a female?!?!?! I've never experienced this before, but it looks as if my mickey mouse platy is going through a sex change... is this normal? If it's impossible, what else could be wrong with him?

Romad 10-13-2012 12:01 PM

Why do you think that? Is he swelling up? Platys are one of the easier fish to sex as the male has a pointed anal fin and females are rounded.

I don't think it's possible for them to change sex.

Can you post a picture?

MollyMomma 10-13-2012 12:51 PM

I wonder, because his anal fin is looking round. I don't know if I can get a picture, my camera is broken.

Romad 10-13-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyMomma (Post 1273752)
I wonder, because his anal fin is looking round. I don't know if I can get a picture, my camera is broken.

In our Fish Profiles - the top row shows two really good examples of male vs. female. Click on the shaded name here: Platy

Top row 2nd from left = male (note the sharp sword like fin under the belly)
Top row 3rd from left = female - rounded fin under belly.

MollyMomma 10-13-2012 05:11 PM

I know the dif between male and female, and that is why I was confused at the his/her anal fin... it used to be narrow and now seems to be triangular. :-?

Romad 10-13-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyMomma (Post 1273961)
I know the dif between male and female, and that is why I was confused at the his/her anal fin... it used to be narrow and now seems to be triangular. :-?

Oops - my mistake then. I can't think of a good reason why it would change shape. I've never seen it happen with any of mine. Is it possible that it got injured somehow?

Very strange :hmm:

MollyMomma 10-13-2012 06:03 PM

I don't think so. The only fish I have are very easy going... Thanks for your help. I'm stumped.

Sylverclaws 10-14-2012 09:28 PM

I had a molly I thought was a male once, but then it turned out female due to an injury. I've also had a female get an injury there before that made it look like a boy. lol Sometimes it can take a while for that part to go back to normal after an injury. My fish are also easy-going, but sometimes the girls do NOT want it, and will get into it with a male while the male is sniffing around her back end, resulting in a rather damaging bite. I assume, if it WAS an injury, it's the same for mollies and platies, they are told apart the same way.

Other than that, I don't know. I've never heard of a molly or platy going from male to female, but when they're young they can go from female to male. But that's below the five month range or so. I haven't heard of it going the other way around. lol