Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   marine set up (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/marine-set-up-116877/)

Joe1985 10-12-2012 05:41 PM

marine set up

hey all, i am strongly thiinking of starting a marine set up and am in the process of researching, i would like to know in everybodys experiences what would be an appropriate size tank for a decent marine set up? longer tank more then a higher tank? or other way around? would like to know ppls opinions, thanks

Reefing Madness 10-12-2012 05:59 PM

Longer tank, versus higher tank. Swim room back and forth is what fish do, they don't tend to swim up and down at high rates of speed.

Joe1985 10-19-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1273100)
Longer tank, versus higher tank. Swim room back and forth is what fish do, they don't tend to swim up and down at high rates of speed.

ah yes i was thinking that but wasnt 100% certain, thanks reefing, i had a look at your pics of your tank and i must say my friend im very jealous! id love a tank that size! im still doing alot of research still and in the process of looking for tanks, what would u recommend to be a sufficient sized tank for a beginner/starter? i want clownfish and some tangs but with enough room to expand onto other fish too any help i could get is very much appreciated thanks :)

bigehugedome 10-19-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe1985 (Post 1279712)
ah yes i was thinking that but wasnt 100% certain, thanks reefing, i had a look at your pics of your tank and i must say my friend im very jealous! id love a tank that size! im still doing alot of research still and in the process of looking for tanks, what would u recommend to be a sufficient sized tank for a beginner/starter? i want clownfish and some tangs but with enough room to expand onto other fish too any help i could get is very much appreciated thanks :)

I have seen alot of people with 40 gallon breeders as first tanks, but I donno what tangs would work there. I think the biggest the better, of course its more expensive, but easier to maintain since there is less swing in water parameters. Dont forget the sump!!!!

Reefing Madness 10-19-2012 09:43 AM

For Tangs your tank would be a minimum of 75g. And with this you would only be able to keep a few Tangs, not the most common. A 125g would be ideal if you were able to get one.
Here are your choices of Tangs for a 75g tank:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Mimic Lemon Peel Tang
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bristletooth Tomini Tang
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Mimic Half Black Tang, Acanthurus chronixis
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Squaretail Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus truncatus
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: White Tail Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus flavicauda

Joe1985 10-20-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1279847)

so a 55G would be too small?? (4ft tank)

Reefing Madness 10-20-2012 09:29 AM

55g tank would be to small for a Tang, yes.

beaslbob 10-20-2012 01:25 PM

I recommend you start the tank with a simple refugium with macro algaes. Or an algae truf scrubber.

The ides is to balance out the tank with plant life (algae or macro algae) right from the start. IME it makes the system more stable of forgiving of mistakes.

my .02

Joe1985 10-20-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1280800)
55g tank would be to small for a Tang, yes.

i am in the processes of buying a 4x2x2 (so if my maths are correct around 125G?) would that be sufficient?

Reefing Madness 10-20-2012 11:32 PM

Technically no, but it will suffice. In technical terms a 6' tank would be better. Its the back and forth swim room these guys need, they get to coolking in the tank. But, yours will have some room for that.